Banana Bread is the best of both worlds. Soft and moist like a cake but sliceable and totally acceptable to eat for breakfast. Packed full of protein from the Greek yoghurt, eggs and milk and, of course, bananas!
Can you believe my first attempt at making banana bread was recipe testing for this post?! How have I gone 20+ years without making banana bread?
It’s a mystery and one that I am remedying today.
Getting the right balance between soft and fluffy with the structure of bread and the less ‘sweetness’ of a cake. I just didn’t know where to begin.
Honestly, once I began down the banana bread rabbit hole, its really not complicated!
Ensuring The Perfect Banana Bread
- Make sure you add the amount of ‘fat’ specified. I use a combination of butter and oil as I like the buttery flavour while the oil give extra moisture.
- I cut down on some of the fat content and upped the protein with the addition of Greek yoghurt. I find Greek yoghurt gives such a lovely flavour to baked goods.
- Over-ripe bananas are KEY! I’m talking nearly completely black skins. These provide the flavour and the sweetness to the banana bread.
- I use brown sugar for added moisture and texture. Plus the slight caramel flavour compliments banana beautifully.
- I chose to use wholemeal flour as I like the taste and texture but you can use regular white flour instead. I would also suggest using a high grade or bread flour for the higher protein content so make this more bread like rather than cake like.
- Don’t skimp on the cinnamon. This is personal taste but for me, there needs to be a lot of cinnamon.
I baked mine in a 9″x5″ loaf pan.
I hope you enjoy this Banana Bread and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos!
- 1/3 Cup Butter, Melted (75g)
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1/4 Cup Greek Yoghurt (62g)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Mashed Banana (3 Large Bananas) (450g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (140g)
- 2 Cups Wholemeal Flour (Or All Purpose Flour) (360g)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2-3 tsp Cinnamon (To taste)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan with butter or non stick cooking spray. Add two strips of baking paper at each end with enough over hang to be able to lift out the bread once its baked.
- Preheat the oven 180 C (350 F).
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the brown sugar, melted butter ,oil, eggs, vanilla, Greek yoghurt and mashed bananas and mix together.
- Fold through the dry ingredients and don't over mix!
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes. I checked and turned mine at 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread and when it comes out clean the bread is baked. Oven times vary.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan using the overhanging baking paper. Allow the banana bread to cool completely before slicing.
- The bread can be kept in an airtight container for up to four days but I recommend eating it within two or three.