I know, I know, I say this every year. But seriously! WHERE DID THE TIME GO?! One minute it's January, the next I'm relocated to Australia and now it's December?! How people? Just how?
I don't know if the speed at which time passes gets worse as you get older but it certainly seems that way for me. *sigh*.
Any who, this is the month of Christmas and we're celebrating so on to the recipe!
Christmas Peppermint Brownies are rich, dark chocolate, fudgy brownies, topped with a peppermint icing, a drizzle of peppermint chocolate ganache and pieces of candy canes for the true Christmas feel.
These brownies are a mint chocolate lovers dream! We have peppermint extract in the brownies which pairs perfectly with the dark chocolate, peppermint icing to balance out the richness of the brownies with a little sweetness and then a dark chocolate ganache where you have the option to add more peppermint extract for the real peppermint lovers! Top them off with candy canes for the Christmas feel and you have yourself a winner of a dessert!
I was a little shocked at how well these brownies were received! I made them and served them at an event and they disappeared in two seconds flat with many people asking for the recipe! I knew they were good but I really underestimated the love people have for brownies, Christmas and mint chocolate!
The beauty with these brownies is you can add as much or as little peppermint extract as you like. Omit it completely from the brownies so its just in the icing. Reduce the amount so its just a hint of mint. Or amp it up to the max for the ultimate fresh breathe feel and taste!
Omit the candy canes for other times of the year so no matter what the occasion you have fantastic peppermint brownies!
I hope you enjoy these Christmas Peppermint Brownies and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured!
Christmas Peppermint Brownies
- ¾ Cup Butter (170g)
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate (190g)
- ⅔ Cups Brown Sugar (130g)
- ⅓ Cup Sugar (75g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1-2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (120g)
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa (31g)
- ¼ Cup Butter, Softened (55g)
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar (240g)
- 2 teaspoon - 1 Tbsp. Peppermint Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- ½ Cup Dark Chocolate (100g)
- ½ Cup Cream
- ½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract (Optional)
- 4 Candy Canes, Crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9'x13" baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate together.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, peppermint extract and vanilla extract together until the mixture becomes a light golden colour. (How much peppermint extract you add is your own personal taste).
- Mix in the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa until just combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The top and sides will be set and the middle will have crumbs attached to a skewer inserted but should not be wet.
- Mix the butter, icing sugar, peppermint extract and water together until a smooth paste is created. Add more water as needed until smooth and spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Spread over the brownie and place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes while you make the ganache.
- Heat the cream until near boiling point and then pour over the chocolate in a bowl and let it sit for two minutes. Stir until a smooth consistency.
- Add the peppermint extract if you wish and either spread over the peppermint icing or drizzle over.
- Sprinkle over the crushed candy canes and then slice and serve.