It’s the last day of cake week here on Lights, Camera, BAKE! and we’re going out with a bang! A Salted Caramel Layer Cake kind of bang. This cake is a four layer caramel cake with salted caramel between each layer, iced with caramel icing, topped with more salted caramel sauce and broken chocolate honeycomb candy bars. This is a showstopper cake fit for Hollywood!
This cake is a celebration cake. It’s in-your-face, showstopping, over-the-top and very tall! Caramel is very sweet so I added molasses to the actual cake to add richness and a deeper depth of flavour. It really is just incredible how much the molasses takes this cake from great to AMAZING! I also chose to use cream cheese mixed with salted caramel for the center filling as I felt the cake need another element to counteract all the sweetness. The cream cheese adds a lovely tang to the sweet and creates the perfect balance of flavours.
As an added bonus, I decorated the outside with crushed Oreos and digestive biscuits. This was mainly for aesthetic purposes but it actually added another flavour and texture element that really complemented the cake. This is purely optional but I would recommend you adding this to your cake.
This is a wow cake and does take a while to make but it is worth every minute of fussing, believe me! I went for a simple swirl pattern around the edge of the cake just to make it look a little prettier. I am no cake decorator by any means!
Salted Caramel Layer Cake
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Molasses
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 170 g Butter, Melted (3/4 Cup)
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 2 - 3 tsp Salt
- 70 g Butter, Softened (1/3 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Salted Caramel Sauce
- 3-4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 250 g Cream Cheese
- 2 Crunchie Bars
- Optional 1/2 Packet of Oreos, Crushed
- Optional 1/2 Packet Digestives (Graham Crackers), Crushed
- First make the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line two 8" round cake tins with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs beating well after each addition. Add in the molasses.
- Mix the baking powder and flour together and beat in half to the butter mixture.
- Add in half of the buttermilk and beat.
- Repeat the process.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the vinegar and mix into the cake batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly between each cake pan and place in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooking and cooling, prepare the fillings and icings.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool.
- Add 2/3 Cup of the salted caramel to the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Allow this to set in the fridge.
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add in the salted caramel sauce and icing sugar and beat until you have a thick spreadable consistency.
- Cut each cake in half.
- Between the first layer spread a little of the salted caramel sauce. Place the next layer on top.
- Over this layer spread some salted caramel sauce and then top that with the chilled cream cheese mixture.
- Place the next cake layer on top of that and spread some more salted caramel sauce over that.
- Place the last layer on top and spread the caramel icing in an even layer over the top and sides.
- Decorate however you like.
- Spread the remaining salted caramel sauce in the center.
- Crush over the two Crunchie bars.
- (Optional) Crush the Oreos and digestives together and press around the sides of the cake.