Gingerbread Cupcakes are soft and fluffy cupcakes that are spiced and topped with a fluffy vanilla buttercream to balance the rich spices of the cupcakes.
Christmas is right around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with a spiced cupcake?
Gingerbread cupcakes have all the spices and warmth we want in the holiday season so why not make them for a family get together, dessert, brunch or just a warm and inviting snack?
The recipe for these gingerbread cupcakes are based on my popular Gingerbread Cake recipe. This recipe was a real hit with my friends and family and also with you my dear readers.
I did adjust the icing to be vanilla buttercream instead of cream cheese but you can mix and match the icing.
If you prefer cream cheese icing, use that. If you want to spice this vanilla buttercream with a touch of cinnamon, do it!
The video below will show how easy these cupcakes are to make but if you need step by step photos, they are also down below.
I never go into great detail around the decorating.
One) decorating is not one of my strengths so I usually just do whatever I feel will look the best with minimal effort.
Two) I think decorating is personal.
If you would like more detailed descriptions/photos/videos on decorating cakes and cupcakes, let me know in the comments below!
How To Make The Gingerbread Cupcakes
Did you make this recipe? If so, show me your creation! Tag me on Instagram @lightscamerabake and #lightscamerabake to be featured.
Also don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos.
- 1 Cup Butter (220g)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (200g)
- ¾ Cup Treacle (270g)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour (375g)
- 4 teaspoon Ground Ginger (10.56g)
- 3 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (7.92)
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Milk (125mL)
- 1 and ¼ Cups Butter, Softened (250g)
- ¼ Cup Whipping Cream (heavy cream) (62mL)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 and ½ - 3 Cups Icing Sugar (320g-380g)
- Sprinkles (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease or line a 12 muffin tin with cupcake cases and set aside.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and treacle in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted together, take off the heat and add in the vanilla.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before adding in the eggs and mixing them through.
- In a large bowl sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves).
- Pour in the treacle mixture and fold through until smooth.
- Finally stir through the milk and then spoon in the mixture into each cupcake case until ¾ full.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20-30 minutes.
- I checked mine at 20 minutes and then kept checking them every 5 minutes by inserting a skewer into the middle to check that its done.
- You don't want to over bake!
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream.
- Place the softened butter in a large bowl and beat with a stand mixer.
- Add in the vanilla extract, cream and ⅓ of the icing sugar.
- Beat these ingredients together.
- Slowly, keep adding the icing sugar and then beat on high for around 5 minutes or until the icing becomes very light and fluffy.
- Once made, ice the cupcakes however you like and then sprinkle with sprinkles or decorate however you desire.