*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Gingerbread Cake is the perfect light and fluffy, spice filled cake for Christmas that is topped with cream cheese icing.
Christmas is less than a week away! Can you believe it??
I thought we would never reach the end of 2020 and yet here we are… Finally!
I have this final Christmas recipe to share with you all and I hope you include it in your holiday celebrations because its a good one!
This gingerbread cake is like eating gingerbread men in soft and fluffy cake form! The sweet, vanilla cream cheese icing compliments the heavily spiced cake to make this a cake to remember!
To get the signature gingerbread flavour we use a combination of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves. And to make this deep and rich we use brown sugar and treacle as the base.
How To Make The Gingerbread Cake
Did you make this recipe? If so, show me your creation! Tag me on Instagram @lightscamerabake and #lightscamerabake to be featured.
Also don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos.
- 1 Cup Butter (220g)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (200g)
- 3/4 Cup Treacle (270g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour (375g)
- 4 tsp Ground Ginger (10.56g)
- 3 tsp Ground Cinnamon (7.92g)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Milk (125mL)
Cream Cheese Icing;
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese, Room Temperature (250g)
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened (110g)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 and 1/2 – 3 Cups Icing Sugar (320-380g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease or line a 24cm (9 and 1/2") square baking pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and treacle in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted together, take off the heat and add in the vanilla.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before adding in the eggs and mixing them through.
- In a large bowl sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Pour in the treacle mixture and fold through until smooth.
- Finally stir through the milk and then pour into the prepared pan.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes.
- I checked mine at 35 minutes and then kept checking the cake every 5 minutes by inserting a skewer into the middle to check that its done.
- You don't want to over bake!
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Icing;
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add in the cream cheese and beat together until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and slowly add the icing sugar until all combined.
- Smooth over the top and sides of the gingerbread cake (or decorate how you like and serve!