We’re back!! And Just in time for Christmas baking!
Bakery Style Gingerbread Cookies (NYC Gingerbread Cookies). These are HUGE and thick, chewy cookies filled with white chocolate and spiced like gingerbread. These are a must make this holiday season!
The holiday season is upon us…. again! (seriously, where does the time go?), and I’m back with another Christmas or holiday themed recipe.
I already have a Gingerbread Men recipe on my blog (very popular) but if you’re after a quicker and easier gingerbread cookie recipe these holidays then this one is for you!
These gingerbread cookies are soft, thick, chewy and packed full of white chocolate to balance all the spices that we add to make the gingerbread, well, gingerbread.
The base of these cookies are inspired by my bakery style chocolate chip cookies which are everyone’s favourite cookie recipe so I tweaked a few things to make the perfect bakery style gingerbread cookies as well.
Now, these cookies are huge! They’re not called ‘bakery style’ (or NYC) cookies for nothing!
However, if you want to double the amount of cookies you get from each batch, you can make these cookies smaller and just cook the cookies for a couple of minutes less.
How To Make The Bakery Style Gingerbread Cookies
As you can see from the images above or the video linked below, these cookies are really quite simple to make. The key is to use cold butter.
You might see from the video and the images, that my cookies spread a little bit. This is because I am in Australia where it is extremely hot at Christmas time and my butter refused to stay cold!
If this also happens to you then just keep putting the dough into the fridge as many times as you need but honestly, there isn’t much you can do in the kind of heat Australia is getting at the moment!
The spreading isn’t the end of the world as the cookies still remain thick, chewy and soft.
More Christmas Baking Recipes:
- Gingerbread Men Recipe
- Chocolate Yule Log
- Christmas Tree Brownies
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Gingerbread Cake
- Peppermint Chocolate Christmas Cookies
Did you make this recipe? If so, show me your creation! Tag me on Instagram @lightscamerabake and #lightscamerabake to be featured.
Also don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos.
Bakery Style Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 Cookie Trays
- 1 Cup Butter, Cold and in chunks (220g)
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (150g)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (100g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (420g)
- 1 Tbsp. Cornflour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice (Or all spice)
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Chips (190g)
- 80 g White Chocolate, Chopped coarsely
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cold butter with the brown sugar and sugar creaming them together.
- There should still be clumps of butter visible.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat in. Again, there should still be chunks of butter visible.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornflour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. The batter will be quite stiff.
- Chop up the white chocolate chocolate and add that and the white chocolate chips and stir in.
- Divide the mixture into around 8-10 large balls and arrange on the prepared pan. Only four to a tray as they will spread.
- I didn't roll mine, more like clumped them together in a rustic look. You want them tall balls rather than flatter balls as this will help them remain thick.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes – 1 hour to re chill the butter and avoid spreading.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes. The dough will still be a little soft to the touch.
- Serve warm with some ice cream or eat at room temperature.
- The cookeis can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.