**Original post 2018. Post and images updated 2020**
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies are extra large, extra thick and extra soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies! Just like the big, thick and chewy bakery cookies you love!
I adjusted the recipe for these cookies slightly as I got some feedback from a few readers saying they kept having issues with the cookies spreading too much. So, I went back and tweaked the recipe until it was perfect!
The main change was using cold butter not softened butter. This means you will still have small chunks of butter throughout the cookie dough and will ensure the cookies do not spread too much while aiding in keeping these cookies chewy.
The cold butter trick is from one of the most famous bakeries, Levain Bakery. They insist this is how they make their huge, thick cookies!
The cold butter also means the easiest method for making these cookies is to use a stand mixer. Hand mixing will not work.
I love a good chocolate chip cookie. (Are you a soft or crunchy cookie fan?). I'm a soft cookie fan. The softer and gooier the better. Perhaps that's why I'm such a big fan of cookie bars.
How to make the bakery style cookies
I am obsessed with these cookies. They are so thick! Trust me when I say you won't want to go back to regular sized cookies once you've made them this way. I don't know how I will have be able to consume a cookie that is only a few bites. Big cookies are where its at!
I hope you enjoy these Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter, Cold and in chunks (220g)
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar (150g)
- ½ Cup Sugar (100g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 and ½ Cups All Purpose Flour (420g)
- 1 Tbsp. Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (180g)
- 1 Cup Chopped Chocolate (180g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cold butter with the brown sugar and sugar creaming them together.There should still be clumps of butter visible.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat in. Again, there should still be chunks of butter visible.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornflour and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. The batter will be quite stiff.
- Chop up the chocolate and add that and the chocolate chips and stir in.
- Divide the mixture into around 8-10 large balls and arrange on the prepared pan. Only four to a tray as they will spread.
- I didn't roll mine, more like clumped them together in a rustic look. You want them tall balls rather than flatter balls as this will help them remain thick.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes - 1 hour to re chill the butter and avoid spreading.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes. The dough will still be a little soft to the touch.