Chocolate Fudge Cake is a rich and velvety chocolate cake with a chocolate fudge filling and a sweet and buttery chocolate buttercream.
You guys! How can you not love this cake? We have a rich chocolate cake – that rivals my Ultimate Chocolate Lovers Cake – made with oil as the base instead of butter. This results in an ultra moist and dense cake.
We then fill it with a chocolate fudge filling. The filling is a cross between fudge and frosting. We use butter, icing sugar, water and cocoa like an icing recipe but then we add melted chocolate and keep the consistency thick so it will set like fudge and melt in the mouth when bitten into.
Cover the cake in a rich chocolate buttercream and you have a winner.
The buttercream is sweet, the fudge is rich and the cake is somewhere in the middle. A perfect marriage of chocolate flavors and textures don’t you think?
I hope you like today’s recipe! Remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil or Rice Bran Oil (125ml)
- 1 Cup Milk (250ml)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Sugar (150g)
- 1 and 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour (210g)
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder (95g)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Water (250ml)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate (90g)
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Softened (55g)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar (180g)
- 2-3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa (24g)
- 3/4 Cup Butter, Softened (170g)
- 2 and 1/2-3 Cups Icing Sugar (300-360g)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa (24g)
- 1/4 Cup Milk (62ml)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350º F).
- Line two 20cm (9-inch) round cake pans with baking paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract and mix together.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix either by hand or on a low speed of a hand mixer. Don't over-mix.
- Add the water and combine. The batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter into both of the pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes from the pans.
- Allow to cool completely before filling and icing.
- Melt the chocolate.
- Add in the icing sugar and cocoa powder and mix.
- Mix through the softened butter.
- Add in a tablespoon of water at a time. You want the batter thick but pliable.
- Spread over the top of one of the cakes and place the second cake on top.
- Beat the butter and the cocoa powder together.
- Slowly beat in the icing sugar and milk.
- Add more milk as needed until you have a thick and spreadable consistency.
- Spread over the top of the cake and either let the buttercream flow down the sides of the cake for a more rustic look or cover the sides for a prettier look.