**Originally posted December 2016. The post is original but the photos were updated 2018.**
I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas and are enjoying their holidays. I know I am! Some of that joy comes from making the Hummingbird Cake again. I can't tell you how much I love Hummingbird Cake.
The first recipe of the week is Hummingbird Cake: A super moist pineapple, banana and walnut cake topped and filled with cream cheese icing. This is a timeless traditional cake and when I served this to my family it was gone in seconds. Seriously, it's that good!
Hummingbird cakes have many variations. I have seen some made with the addition of nuts, coconut and carrots. However, every recipe I came across all had the fundamental elements of bananas, pineapple, blanched almonds and spices. In my version of the hummingbird cake I decided to keep it simple and stick to base elements with just the addition of walnuts to give a light crunch and added flavour. This cake has seriously got to be one to the best cakes I have ever made and eaten.
Not only is this cake super delicious, it is also super easy to make. This is a one bowl recipe and doesn't require a mixer! All you need to do is mix all the wet ingredients (tinned crushed pineapple, oil, mashed bananas, vanilla extract and eggs) together. Add the dry (blanched almonds, walnuts, flour, baking soda, sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice), mix them together and that's it! It is dairy free as we use oil instead of butter. The icing, however is not so if you want this cake completely dairy free you will have to use a different icing of your choice.
I paired this cake with my cream cheese icing and the flavours of the cake and the icing marry together perfectly!
I hope you enjoy the Hummingbird Cake and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
- 1 and ⅓ Cups Oil
- 325 g Tinned Crushed Pineapple
- 3 Large Bananas, Very Ripe
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 Large Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Blanched Almonds
- ¼ Cup Walnuts, Chopped
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Cream Cheese Icing;
- 110 g Butter, Softed (½ Cup)
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese
- 3-4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and line two 22cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Mash the bananas and lightly beat the eggs.
- Add the bananas, eggs, oil, crushed pineapple and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the sugar, blanched almonds, chopped walnuts, flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Mix together until all incorporated.
- Pour even amounts of batter into each cake pan and place in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean they are cooked.
- Allow them to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing take the cream cheese and butter and beat together until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat until all combined.
- Spread ⅓ of the icing in the center of the cake and then spread the rest over the top and sides of the cake.