Jumbo Easter Egg Cupcakes are a vanilla cupcake filled with a marshmallow Easter egg baked inside, topped with chocolate frosting and finished off with broken pieces of chocolate Easter bunnies and Easter eggs.
Really, these should be called exploding cupcakes, or VOLCANO cupcakes! Yes volcano cupcakes. I like it. It has a certain ring to it don’t ya think?
Seriously though, the cupcakes exploded in the oven. The marshmallow Easter egg I placed in the center of each exploded out the top and melted all over the cupcakes. Not what I was hoping for but delicious none the less.
Top these jumbo Easter egg cupcakes with chocolate frosting, mini Easter eggs and broken bits of an Easter bunny and you have yourself a winner!
Since baking an Easter marshmallow egg in the middle of the cupcakes ends in a volcano, I opted to bake the cupcakes first and – while still hot – scoop out the middle and place the marshmallow egg in the scooped out middle and allow it to just lightly melt in the residual heat of the cupcakes. You can of course opt to bake the bake the marshmallow Easter egg in the center of the cupcakes and create volcano cupcakes. This option is far more exciting and tastes just as delicious. The only difference is instead of having a marshmallow egg in the middle you have a layer of marshmallow egg on top of the cupcakes under the layer of chocolate frosting.
The choice… Is yours!
This is Lights, Camera, BAKE!’s third Easter!! Can you believe it?! I sure can’t.
I feel like it was just yesterday that I began this blogging journey and although I still have a long way to go, I’m thankful everyday at how far this blog has come and continues to grow.
Let me know if you try the volcano version or the regular version of these cupcakes! I would love to hear your results and experiments in the kitchen. Also remember to #lightscamerabake on Instagram so I can see all your lovely Easter treats.
Jumbo Easter Egg Cupcakes
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened (110g)
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar (100g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (185g)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 tsp - 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract, Depends on your personal tastes
- 3 Marshmallow Easter Eggs, Chopped in half
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened (110g)
- 3 Cups Icing Sugar (375g)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder (24g)
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 12-18 Mini Easter Eggs, for decorating
- 1 Easter Bunny, for decorating
- First make the vanilla cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a large 6x muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, alternate adding the flour and milk to the butter mixture.
- Once it is all combined add the vanilla extract and ensure it is mixed through.
- Spoon in the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 20-25 minutes until the cupcakes spring back to the touch.
- While the cupcakes are still hot, scoop out the center of each with a spoon and place a half of a marshmallow egg in each to let the residual heat melt them slightly.
- Allow the cupcakes come to room temperature while you make the chocolate frosting.
- Beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and milk and beat.
- Slowly add the icing sugar as the beaters are going.
- If the mixture is too stiff add a bit more milk until it is piping consistency.
- Pipe the chocolate frosting onto each cupcake and decorate however you please.
- I chose to decorate with mini Easter eggs and broken pieces of a hollow Easter bunny to create a birds nest design but it is entirely up to you how you want to decorate them.
Leave a Reply