I was going to wait to share this recipe for a few weeks but it’s just too good not to share. I also hit 200 subscribers on my YouTube channel (YAY!) so this is bit of a celebratory recipe too.
Malteser Chocolate Cake is a soft and fluffy, moist, malted chocolate cake sandwiched together with malted buttercream and crushed Maltesers and topped with Malteser Chocolate Spread, Maltesers, more malt buttercream and a fountain of crushed Maltesers. This is one epic chocolate cake. So if you’re a fan of Maltesers, malt and chocolate… You HAVE to make this cake!
You won’t believe how incredibly easy this cake is to make. Seriously! I based the chocolate cake off my Ultimate Chocolate Lovers Cake recipe (which is a one bowl cake batter) but adjusted a few of the measurements and added the all important malted milk powder. The longest – and hardest – part of making this cake is waiting for the cake to cool enough to frost. #impatient.
While you wait for your cakes to cool you can get all the other elements of this cake ready so all you have to do is assemble. Not that there is much extra work to do.
All you need to do is make the malted buttercream, which is literally four ingredients. Butter, malted milk powder, icing sugar and water. Crush some Maltesers (get that aggression out!), grab extra Maltesers for decorating (and eating) and buy a jar of the Malteser Chocolate Spread.
NOTE: If you can’t get your hands on this spread, you can replace with any chocolate spread, chocolate ganache or just omit and replace with more malted buttercream.
I served this cake to my Grandma and she said it was the best cake she had had in a VERY long time! You know it’s good when it’s got Grandmas seal of a approval so go on! Make this cake!
I just wanted to thank everyone who has subscribed to me on YouTube (if you haven’t you should do so now!). It really means a lot and I can;t wait to keep growing and eating cake with you all.
Malteser Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 Cups Butter, Softened (180g)
- 1 and 1/4 Cups Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar) (250g)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Greek Yoghurt (375g)
- 2/3 Cups Malted Milk Powder (80g)
- 1 and 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour (160g)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (50g)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2/3 Cups Butter, Softened (150g)
- 3/4 Cup Malted Milk Powder (95g)
- 3 Cups Icing Sugar (370g)
- 2-4 Tbsp. Water or Milk
- 1 Cup Crushed Maltesers (180g)
- 1/2 Cup Malteser Chocolate Spread (150g)
- 26 Maltesers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°C) and line and grease two 20cm round cake tins.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and Greek yoghurt and beat until smooth.
- Add in the malted milk powder, flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the chocolate cake mix into each of the cake tins and spread in an even layer.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Insert a skewer at 20 minutes and if the skewer comes out clean the cakes are cooked.
- Allow them to cool completely before icing them.
- While the cakes cool, make the malted buttercream.
- Place the softened butter in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add in the malted milk powder and beat.
- Add in half the icing sugar and a tablespoon of water and beat.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and add more water as needed.
- You want a thick, smooth consistency.
- Crush the Maltesers.
- Spread 1/2 - 2/3 of the buttercream on top of one of the cakes. (How you pipe and decorate is up to you). Pour over half of the crushed Maltesers. Place the second cake on top and then spread the Malteser Chocolate Spread over the top leaving an inch around the sides.
- Pipe the remaining malted buttercream around the edge. Pour the remaining crushed Maltesers in the middle and top with as many Maltesers you like.