These Peanut Caramel Cupcakes are a soft and fluffy vanilla cupcake with a soft and gooey peanut caramel filling, topped with a peanut butter frosting. These cupcakes are soft, light and fluffy. They’re sweet with hints of caramel and of course peanut. If you like peanut butter, these are for you!
For the cupcakes I used my trusty Vanilla Cupcakes recipe. I absolutely love this recipe as it always turns out light and fluffy vanilla cupcakes. I then wondered what it would be like if I added peanut butter to my caramel sauce. (I know it sounds weird but hear me out….).
I made a batch of the caramel sauce and added the peanut butter hoping it would taste somewhat edible. Let me tell you, it’s more than edible! I couldn’t stop eating it! It tastes like like a sweetened peanut butter with an undertone of rich caramel. Trust me when I say, you will love these!
These are then frosted with a creamy peanut butter frosting. The peanut butter helps balance out all the sweetness from the icing sugar to create a salty, sweet frosting that pairs beautifully with the gooey middle and soft, fluffy cupcake.
If you make any of my recipes be sure to #lightscamerabake on Instagram! I love seeing your creations. Remember to like and subscribe to my social media to keep up with LCB.
Peanut Caramel Cupcakes
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Four
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 tsp - 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract, Depends on your personal tastes
Peanut Caramel Filling;
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 50 g Butter, Melted (1/4 Cup)
- 3 Tbsp. Milk
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter Frosting;
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 20 g Butter, Softened (2 Tbsp.)
- 1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Milk, Optional
Peanut Caramel Sauce;
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add in the peanut butter and stir until it is melted together.
- Allow to cool while you make the vanilla cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, alternate adding the flour and milk to the butter mixture.
- Once it is all combined add the vanilla extract and ensure it is mixed through.
- Spoon in the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until the cupcakes spring back to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely.
For The Frosting;
- Beat the butter and peanut butter together until smooth.
- Add in the icing sugar half a cup at a time.
- Add the milk if the mixture is too stiff to pipe or spread.
- Fill the middle of each cupcake with some of the peanut caramel sauce.
- Top each cupcake with the peanut butter frosting. You can do any design you wish or keep them simple like I did.