**Originally posted 2017. Post and photos updated 2020.**
This Apple Crumb Cake is a beautifully soft and fluffy, lightly spiced apple cake with a buttery crumb running though the centre and on top. I made this promising myself I would only have a small piece… *sigh*. Three pieces later….
This is one of those cakes that can be served as dessert, as a birthday cake, for brunch, with a coffee or even breakfast! The apple crumb cake is no fuss, quick and so easy to whip up you’ll be making one everyday.
The batter is a cinnamon cake batter. The apples I used are granny smith for the tart flavour and the crumb is buttery, spiced and an easy one bowl mix.
No need to ice or decorate this beauty. Just layer the cake batter and the crumb in the baking pan and bake.
Serve the cake straight from the oven with some ice cream or let it cool and serve cold. Both ways are delicious. Trust me, I know!
I made the cake a layered apple cake. We layer cake batter, apples and crumb. Then repeat again. There is the option to mix the apple slices throughout the cake batter and add the crumb to the middle and top. The option is yours.
I hope you enjoy this Apple Crumb Cake and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
Apple Crumb Cake
- 1 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (185g)
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted (110g)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (110g)
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar (25g)
- 2 Apples, Peeled and diced into small thin cubes
- 1 Tbsp. Flour, Extra
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, Extra
- 1/2 Cup Oil (125g)
- 1/2 Cup Milk (125ml)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar (200g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 and 2/3 Cups All Purpose Flour (340g)
- 2-3 tsp Cinnamon, depending on your flavour preference
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- First make the crumb.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Pour over the melted butter and mix until all combined and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), grease and line a 20cm round cake tin and set aside.
- Place the oil, milk, vanilla extract, sugar and eggs in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and fold through. Mix until just combined.
- Peel and dice your apples.
- Coat the diced apples in the extra flour and cinnamon.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the cake pan and spread in an even layer.
- Top with half of the coated apple slices.
- Top that with half of the crumble and repeat the process again.
- Place in the oven for 45-60 minutes depending on your oven. Check at 35 minutes with a skewer inserted in the middle and keep checking every 10 minutes.
- The skewer should come out clear, save from a few of the crumble crumbs.
This cake looks so delicious!
Thank you. It is very delicious! Perfect comfort food 🙂