**Post and photos updated in 2019. Original post from 2014**
That’s right. Today’s recipe is something a little healthy.
Apart from the butter…..
But it has apples…. And oats….. They’re healthy right?
This is an Apple Crumble Slice. The slice uses a crumble base with cooked apples and cinnamon spice for the filling.
You can either use an apple pie filling or apple sauce for this with just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top or cook your apples down and add cinnamon, vanilla, water and sugar for a bit more of a time consuming – but delicious – alternative. The photos are of the cooked apple method. With apple sauce, the middle won’t be as thick and high.
I adapted an apple slice recipe to make them richer and tastier. This slice is perfect for a snack. Or serve it for breakfast with some yoghurt, or for dessert with a scoop of ice cream!
I hope you enjoy these Apple Crumble Slice and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
- 150 g Butter (3/4 Cup)
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1 Cup Oats
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon (plus some to sprinkle)
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (Or 1/2 Cup Brown, 1/4 Cup White)
- 2 Large Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 300-400 g Pie Apple Filling or Apple Sauce
Peel the skin off the apples and chop the apples into thin slicing and then chop those slices into half.
Place the apples, water, cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar in the saucepan over a medium heat until the apples begin to cook and the brown sugar dissolves.
Cook for as long as you like. The longer you cook the apples the softer they will be. I cook mine for around 10 minutes as I like my apples to still have a little bite.
Drain the excess water and liquid and set aside.
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a sponge roll tin or slice tin with baking paper. (7"x11")
- Melt the butter.
While the butter is melting, mix the flour, oats, coconut, salt, sugar and cinnamon together.
- Pour the melted butter into the dry mixture and mix until nice and crumbly.
- Sprinkle ½ to 2/3 of the crumble mixture in the base of the tin and cover evenly.
Pour the apple over top of the base and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over top and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- This can be served hot or cold for breakfast, snacks, lunch, dessert or even dinner!
If you use the apple pie filling or apple sauce instead of cooking the apples, just spread the filling over the base and top with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and repeat with topping with the remaining crumble.
Adapted from Adapted from ‘Family Circle’ May 1997