**Post and photos updated in 2019. Original post from 2014**
That’s right. Today’s recipe is something a little healthy.
Apart from the butter…..
But it has apples…. And oats….. They’re healthy right?
This is an Apple Crumble Slice. The slice uses a crumble base with cooked apples and cinnamon spice for the filling.
You can either use an apple pie filling or apple sauce for this with just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top or cook your apples down and add cinnamon, vanilla, water and sugar for a bit more of a time consuming – but delicious – alternative. The photos are of the cooked apple method. With apple sauce, the middle won’t be as thick and high.
I adapted an apple slice recipe to make them richer and tastier. This slice is perfect for a snack. Or serve it for breakfast with some yoghurt, or for dessert with a scoop of ice cream!
I hope you enjoy these Apple Crumble Slice and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
Apple Crumble Slice
- 150 g Butter (3/4 Cup)
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1 Cup Oats
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon (plus some to sprinkle)
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (Or 1/2 Cup Brown, 1/4 Cup White)
- 2 Large Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 300-400 g Pie Apple Filling or Apple Sauce
- Peel the skin off the apples and chop the apples into thin slicing and then chop those slices into half.
- Place the apples, water, cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar in the saucepan over a medium heat until the apples begin to cook and the brown sugar dissolves.
- Cook for as long as you like. The longer you cook the apples the softer they will be. I cook mine for around 10 minutes as I like my apples to still have a little bite.
- Drain the excess water and liquid and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a sponge roll tin or slice tin with baking paper. (7"x11")
- Melt the butter.
- While the butter is melting, mix the flour, oats, coconut, salt, sugar and cinnamon together.
- Pour the melted butter into the dry mixture and mix until nice and crumbly.
- Sprinkle ½ to 2/3 of the crumble mixture in the base of the tin and cover evenly.
- Pour the apple over top of the base and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over top and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- This can be served hot or cold for breakfast, snacks, lunch, dessert or even dinner!
- If you use the apple pie filling or apple sauce instead of cooking the apples, just spread the filling over the base and top with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and repeat with topping with the remaining crumble.