Hello everybody. How is everybody’s week been so far? Mine has been a bit hectic and doesn’t show signs of letting up but I shall push through. Not to mention, on top of being busy, I am still recovering from a major sugar coma! I think I have really overdone it on the sweets the past
two three week, so I am trying to – not so successfully – stay away from over the top sweet food.
That is why today I bring you Apricot Cream Cheese Muffins. A light, airy, vanilla muffin, packed full of chopped dried apricots with a little surprise cream cheese center! You are going to love these…..
I don’t bake a lot of muffins, and if I ever do it is usually a classic blueberry. Because of this, coming up with a recipe was quite tough but I think I have found the right balance of them being light and fluffy and not cakey like a cupcake. But I’ll leave that to you to decide….
These apricot cream cheese muffins are a great grab-and-go option because they are quite filling and healthyish. These muffins can be frozen separately for 3-4 months so you have a yummy quick snack option on hand!
These muffins are easy to make, the only important thing to remember with muffins is DO NOT OVER MIX. Over mixing causes the gluten in the flour to develop which will cause your muffins to be tough, not light and airy. I mix until I can’t see any flour remaining at the bottom then stop completely.
If you love muffins, you will definitely love this one and if you don’t usually bake muffins like me, I really encourage you to try these!!
Apricot Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots, Chopped
- 100 g Butter, Melted (1/2 Cup)
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Natural Yoghurt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Center;
- 125 g Cream Cheese, At room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cases and preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- For the Cream Cheese Mixture;
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Chop the apricots into small pieces.
- Place the apricots, brown sugar and warm melted butter in a bowl and let them sit together for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg, yoghurt and vanilla extract together.
- Mix in the butter mixture.
- Mix in the baking soda.
- Stir in the flour. Do NOT over mix.
- Place around 2 large tablespoons of muffin mixture at the bottom of each muffin case.
- Top with around a teaspoon of cream cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining muffin mixture (around another tablespoon on each) to cover the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until they are starting to turn golden and spring back to the touch.
- Allow them to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin before removing.
Leave a Reply