These Healthy Banana Breakfast muffins are refined sugar free and can be made vegan. Bananas really shine in these muffins are supported with the flavours of maple syrup, oats and cinnamon.
I love healthy muffin recipes and I felt it was time for a new healthy muffin recipe. After all, we all need a good breakfast muffin recipe. Something you can just get up and go with or make the night before. Breakfast muffins are great for feeding a family or making a batch ahead for the week.
Healthy Banana Breakfast Muffins combine all the flavours and ingredients of a good breakfast (bananas, oats, yoghurt, cinnamon, maple syrup) and turns them into a soft and filling muffin. As you can see from the photos these are more dense and not as high and fluffy as some muffins. This is because we are using more breakfast ingredients and healthier alternatives to create a refined sugar free and white flour free muffin rather than a muffin you would have with a slavering of butter.
These are also great for a healthy snack or dessert and are healthy enough for any meal of the day.
NOTE: These do use eggs and yoghurt so if you want these truly vegan you will need to use flax eggs or a vegan egg replacer and a non-dairy yoghurt or replace with a non-dairy milk.
I hope everyone's Monday is off to a good start. I am deep into prepping Christmas recipes and buying Christmas presents. Keep an eye out for the new Christmas recipes coming soon on LCB!
Healthy Banana Breakfast Muffins
- 2 Large Over-Ripe Bananas (1 Cup/300g)
- ⅓ Cup Maple Syrup (75g)
- 2 Large Eggs*
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, Melted (27g)
- ½ Cup Greek Yoghurt* (125g)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats (90g)
- 1 Cup Wholemeal Flour (180g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a regular sized muffin pan with non stick liners or grease it and set aside.
- Mash the bananas and place them, the maple syrup, eggs (or flax eggs), coconut oil, Greek yoghurt (or non-dairy alternative) and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking powder, oats and wholemeal flour and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray and bake for 25-30 minutes. A skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean and they will be springy to the touch.