Apricot Shortbread Crumble Slice is a melt in the mouth shortbread base topped with tart apricot jam filling and finished off with a simple crumble top.
You know I’m all about chocolate and chocolate dessert but every once and a while I feel like a fruit based recipe and since it’s Monday, I thought I would start the week off on a ‘health’ kick with these apricot shortbread crumble slice. I say ‘healthy’ because there’s fruit in these. Apricot jam counts as one of my five+ a day right?
The great thing about these is they are so easy to make and require minimal ingredients. The base is a classic shortbread type base with flour, butter and icing sugar that is then baked and when cooled it becomes a crunchy biscuit that then melts right in the mouth! (I based the base of this slice off my shortbread recipe.)
Once the base has cooked for around ten minutes we spread over the apricot jam and then top it with the crumble that is just butter, brown sugar, flour and icing sugar. I chose to create this crumble as opposed to making a traditional crumble with oats as I wanted the crumble top to fit the theme of the slice. I found oats would have been too – whats the word? – bulky? The shortbread and apricot jam is delicate so I wanted a more delicate crumble pair with the slice
Serve the apricot shortbread crumble slice with yoghurt or ice cream as dessert or have a slice with your morning coffee. I’m off to grab a slice for breakfast!
Remember to #lightscamerabake on Instagram if you make this recipe or any other of my recipes. I love seeing your creations.
Happy Monday and happy baking!
Apricot Shortbread Crumble Slice
Shortbread Base and Filling;
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Room temperature and cut into cubes (110g)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour (125g)
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar (60g)
- 1-2 Tbsp. Milk, as needed
- 2/3 Cups Apricot Jam (220g)
- 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (95g)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (100g)
- 2 Tbsp. Icing Sugar (15g)
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted (110g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x9" baking pan with baking paper.
- In a food processor or with a hand mixer, place the cubed butter, flour and icing sugar and pulse to fine breadcrumbs.
- Keep processing until you have a soft dough that just holds together. (Add a tablespoon of milk if the dough is too dry.)
- Press into the base of the baking pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the outsides of the shortbread are a light golden colour.
- Once the base is out of the oven, spread over the apricot jam and make the crumble top.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix until you have a crumble mixture.
- Sprinkle over the apricot jam and place the slice bake in the oven for another twenty minutes.
- The top and sides will be a nice golden colour when it is cooked.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving.