Caramel Walnut Slice is an oat and candied caramel slice filled with sweet, buttery caramel.
My buttery caramel oat bars is one of my all time favourite bakes.
In fact, it’s probably one of my most used recipe. It’s so versatile, great for parties, snacks, dessert and it is a real crowd pleaser.
Today’s recipe is a spin on that classic. We candy walnuts and distribute these through the slice. The added crunch from the walnuts add great texture and the sweet/salty flavour runs throughout and pairs perfectly with the buttery, creamy caramel.
Why Candy the Walnuts in the Caramel Walnut Slice?
Candying the walnuts adds a sweet and salty element to the recipe.
Not only are the nuts then toasted (more flavour) but they are roasted in a mixture of coconut oil, maple syrup and salt.
The little bites of salty/sweet walnuts in the oat slice really does heighten the whole recipe.
If you don’t want candy the walnuts, you can just roast them in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? If so, show me your creation! Tag me on Instagram @lightscamerabake and #lightscamerabake to be featured.
Also don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos.
Caramel Walnut Slice
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Walnuts, Chopped (170g)
- 2 and 1/2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (92g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Butter, Melted (220g)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar (300g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 and 2/3 Cups All Purpose Flour (220g)
- 1 Cup Self-Raising Flour (180g)
- 1 Cup Shredded or Desiccated Coconut (85g)
- 2 and 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats (250g)
- 1 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (397g)
- 1/2 Cup Butter (110g)
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup (90g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Chop the walnuts into small pieces.
- Place a fry pan on a medium to high heat and place the coconut oil, salt, maple syrup, vanilla extract and walnuts into the fry pan and fry for five minutes. Stir constantly so the walnuts don't burn.
- Pour onto non stick paper and spread out to allow them to cool completely while you make the caramel.
- Place the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan on a medium heat and allow them to melt together.
- Once it has all come together take off the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool slightly while you prepare the oat slice.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x13" baking tin with baking paper.
- Place the brown sugar in a bowl and mix in the melted butter.
- Add in the eggs and mix.
- Add the two flours, oats and coconut and mix until all combined.
- Add in 3/4 of the candied walnuts and stir through.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan.
- Top with the caramel and then crumble over the remaining oat mixture on top. Sprinkle over the remaining candied walnuts.
- Place in the oven to bake for around 30 minutes. The top and sides should be a light golden colour.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. I like to cool mine in the fridge so the caramel slices nicely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.