The countdown is on! Only 9 days until Christmas and town is getting hectic with the last minute present shopping and food grabs. I’ll admit I will have to join the fray of the next couple of days. I am one of the last minute Christmas shoppers. *sigh*.
But enough about Christmas, you’re here for the Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding. In my opinion this is the BEST chocolate self-saucing pudding there is. I have made this pudding hundreds of times and is my families favourite. As a child it was my go-to dessert and what I love about this chocolate self-saucing pudding is it is so easy to whip up last minute and have on the table in less than 40 minutes.
There’s just something about a Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding isn’t there? The soft and fluffy cake and the ooey gooey sauce. They remind me of home. Of comfort and of my childhood. I can’t actually remember a time in my life without chocolate self-saucing pudding! Do you have a particular recipe like that? If not, maybe my chocolate self-saucing pudding can become your new family tradition!
I’ve had self-saucing puddings that haven’t been saucy enough or are too dry. Not rich enough. This recipe is none of those things!
My recipe creates a soft and fluffy chocolate cake with plenty of ooey gooey, rich chocolate sauce. Top this with ice cream or have it as is (like I do) and you have yourself the perfect winter warmer or comforting after dinner dessert.
The recipe serves four people. Large portions mind you! You could extend this to six portions if you were serving this at a dinner party. If you need more, you can double the recipe with no problems, just make sure you double the size of the baking pan too.
Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding
- 1/4 Cup Butter (55g)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (100g)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (125g)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa (7g)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (100g)
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa (7g)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 20cm baking round baking dish.
- Melt the butter, milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan on a low heat until the butter melts.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt together.
- Pour over the wet ingredients and mix all together until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and coca together and sprinkle in a layer over the chocolate mixture.
- Pour over the boiling water (I pour mine over the back of a spoon to stop the water pushing the brown sugar mixture to one side).
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes. The top will be set but underneath will still be bubbly and liquid.