Lemon Yoghurt Cake is a light, moist, fluffy and refreshing lemon cake with a sweet and perfect cream cheese icing.
Introducing my Mother's favourite cake. She loves all lemon desserts but this one takes the cake. (Heh, get it?)
I completely understand her love for this cake with its tender and moist crumb, plenty of sweetness from the cream cheese icing to balance the tartness and zing from the cake. The cake is light as air, fluffy, tender from the yoghurt and lemon juice and super moist. This cake is just screaming of sunshine and summer.
Lemon Yoghurt Cakes are a classic. Great for afternoon tea, dessert or just a snack, they're so versatile and stand the test of time. I baked mine in a 20cm round spring form cake tin as I wanted I nice high cake and spring form pans are so easy to get cakes out of after baking. Especially with a cake as delicate as this, a spring form pan is the way to go to avoid any cake mishaps when turning the cake out of the pan.
I decided to pair my cake with a cream cheese icing because 1) its my favourite icing and 2) the sweet icing really pairs well with the zesty lemon without overpowering the cake completely. I know I love the cake filled and frosted but my Mum and a few other people prefer the cake with just a light dusting of icing sugar. The cake itself is so tender and moist that it really doesn't need the frosting in that sense.
How will you eat this cake? Frosted or unfrosted?
I hope you enjoyed a non chocolate dessert for a change! Remember if you make this or any of my other recipes to #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured! Also subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos and tutorials.
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
Lemon Yoghurt Cake;
- 1 and ½ Cups Sugar (300g)
- Rind From Two Lemons
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Greek or Natural Yoghurt (250g)
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 and ½ Cups Self Raising Flour (300g)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
Cream Cheese Icing;
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese, Room Temperature (250g)
- ½ Cup Butter, Softened (110g)
- 3 Cups Icing Sugar (360g)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (360°F) and grease and line a 20cm round spring form cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place the sugar and lemon rind. Add in the eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Add in the oil and yoghurt and mix until well combined. Mix in the lemon juice.
- Add in the flour and salt and fold through until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and place in the oven for 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
- A skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean and the top will be golden.
- Allow to cool completely while you make the cream cheese icing.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat together until smooth. Add the icing sugar and vanilla essence and beat until all combined.
- Add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and lemon rind and beat until all combined.
- Cut the cake in half and spread ⅓ of the cream cheese icing in the middle.
- Place the top half of the cake back on and ice the tops and sides with the remaining icing.