Today's recipe is my twist on a classic. Mars Bars Slice. The sticky and sweet rice krispie treat is filled with butter, Mars Bars and marshmallows... Rich, buttery, sugary and no bake, it's no wonder this recipe is a classic!
I have had numerous requests to make and share this recipe and today, here it is! I will say this isn't completely traditional Mars Bar Slice but I'll get to that in a moment.
Until people started requesting this recipe I had actually never heard of it! I know right?! A childhood staple and I missed the bus completely. After a bit of research I found that Mars Bar Slice is very popular and definitely a Kiwi classic. I'm not sure about the rest of the world(?) but it sure is popular in New Zealand.
I believe a big reason for me never having heard of this treat is because I hated caramel as a child. Loathed it! Anything that even had the mention of caramel I refused to touch. As Mars Bars have caramel, I never touched one and so these were never a 'thing' in my household.
Boy, things have changed!
I'm still not a fan of traditional caramel but I do like - my - homemade caramel's and caramel with chocolate.
Let me just say this. If you're not a fan of caramel, don't worry, this slice is still for you! You can't taste the caramel.
How these differ from the traditional Mars Bar Slice is I upped the amount of Mars Bars in these, reduced the amount of butter and added marshmallows. Some of the recipes I found only used one Mars Bar! How you can you have a Mars Bar Slice with only one Mars Bar? There are a total of three in this recipe.
The reason for adding the marshmallows is to up the sweetness factor without adding caramel and to make these rice krispie treats more sticky! You can't have a good rice krispie treat without them being sticky and sweet.
The method for this slice is so ridiculously easy you could do it in your sleep!
Add Mars Bars, butter, golden syrup (corn syrup) and marshmallows to a saucepan and melt together. Add in rice krispies (rice bubbles in New Zealand) and chopped Mars Bars, spread in a tin and place in the fridge. You could serve them as is or for the added touch add a chocolate ganache top.
Mars Bar Slice
- 2 x Mars Bars (116g)
- ¼ Cup Butter (55g)
- ½ Cup Marshmallows (Around 12)
- 1 Tbsp. Golden Syrup (Corn Syrup)
- 3 Cups Rice Bubbles (Rice Krispies) (75g)
- 1 x Mars Bar, Chopped (58g)
- 1 and ¼ Cups Chocolate (225g)
- ½ Cup Cream (125g)
- Grease and line a 7"x11" slice pan and set aside.
- Place the two Mars Bars, butter, golden syrup and marshmallows into a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Stir until all combined and melted.
- Stir through the rice bubbles and chopped mars bar and press into the prepared pan.
- Place in the fridge while you make the ganache.
- Melt the chocolate and cream together and spread over the Mars Bar base.
- Place in the fridge for an hour before slicing.
- You want to slice before the ganache gets too set or you will get cracks in the top.