Sometimes you just need a good no bake tray bake recipe am I right? This No Bake Mint Chocolate Slice has everything. It’s quick and easy, no bake, fun and brightly coloured and most of all…. Down right scrumptious!
Calling all New Zealanders! You know those Mint Slice biscuits? I absolutely adore those biscuits and these taste exactly like those biscuits but in no bake slice form. You have the crunch from the crushed biscuit and chocolate base, the soft peppermint center and the crack from the melted chocolate top.
(If you don’t have those biscuits I believe in some parts of the world you have Thin Mints? I’ve never had one of those but I’m sure this will taste similar to those.)
Basically take any mint chocolate block of chocolate and you have the same deep, rich peppermint and chocolate flavours only the texture and slice is different. Obviously… I’m sorry if I’m rambling and not explaining this well. I seem to be a bit tongue tied this morning. Let’s break this down: Chocolate + Peppermint = Perfection.
For the base of this slice I used my Mallows Balls recipe as that always turns out a lovely sweet, chocolate and crunchy recipe. I knew the lighter chocolate flavour and the texture would work perfectly with the peppermint filling. The filling is just a simple icing sugar, butter and water mixture with the addition of peppermint extract and green food colouring to give a distinct ‘mint’ look. The food colouring is of course, optional.
Top that with melted chocolate and a touch of butter to give it a nice shine and you have yourself a very refreshing sweet treat without even having to turn on the oven!
- 100 g Butter (1/2 Cup)
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tin Condensed Milk (200g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250 g Digestive Biscuits (Graham Crackers)
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 20 g Butter, Melted (2 Tbsp.)
- 3 Tbsp - 1/4 Cup Water
- 1-2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- A drop or two of Green Food Colouring (Optional)
- 150 g Dark Chocolate, Melted
- 20 g Butter (2 Tbsp.)
Line an 8"x8" baking tin with non stick paper and set aside.
- Crush the biscuits and heat the butter, cocoa, brown sugar and condensed milk in a medium saucepan until the butter and sugar have melted and dissolved.
Take it off the heat and add the vanilla extract and biscuit crumbs.
- Line the base of the baking tin with the mixture and place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- In a bowl place the icing sugar, melted butter, peppermint extract and two tablespoons of water and mix. Add more water (a tablespoon at a time) until you have a thick but spreadable mixture.
- Add in a drop of green food colouring until you have the right green colour you want.
- Spread over the base and place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together and spread over the peppermint middle. Allow to set at room temperature and slice into pieces when the chocolate is just set to avoid cracking.
- Once sliced place in the fridge to fully set. (one - two hours).
You could use a 9x9 tin for a thinner slice.
You can omit the green food colouring.
Add more or less peppermint extract to your own taste preferences