Polka Dot Cookie Bars: Gluten free/wheat free chocolate cookie bars with white chocolate ‘polka dots’. Cakey, chewy, with a light chocolate flavour. These bars will become a favourite in your house, trust me!
This is the last day of Gluten Free Week. I’ve enjoyed experimenting with gluten free flour. I’ve tried using it in place of regular flour in a few other recipes with varying degrees of success. I made cupcakes that turned a little harder than I would have liked but I also made these chocolate chip cookies that turned out perfect! If you have any hints, tips or experiment with gluten free flour, please report back. I would love to hear about it!
These are like any cookie bar. Simple yet delicious and crowd pleasing. Plus it takes the hassle out of having to roll heaps of balls of cookie dough.
The beauty of these bars is that they only use one tablespoon of cocoa. This creates a loving light hint of a chocolate flavour without it being overly rich. It creates a nice balance of flavours, almost a red velvet flavour without the red velvet. Not quite vanilla yet not quite chocolate.
I hope everyone’s week is starting off well. As well as any Monday can be! Mine has been a bit hectic and this week doesn’t show any sign of slowing down. In saying that, I enjoy being busy so for me that’s a good thing.
Gluten Free Polka Dot Cookie Bars
- 110 g Butter, Melted (1/2 Cup)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 1 and 1/3 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1/3 - 1/2 Cup White Chocolate Buttons
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips, Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line an 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and mix with the brown sugar and sugar.
- Hand whisk in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add in the gluten free flour, baking soda and cocoa and mix until all combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips if you are adding them.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle over the white chocolate buttons to create a polka dot effect.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The sides and top will be set but the middle will wobble slightly. (If you don't want them slightly under baked, wait until the middle doesn't wobble at all.