Salted Caramel Cake Pops uses caramel cake crumbs and salted caramel sauce mixed together to create a cake pop truffle. Cover that in chocolate for a salty sweet treat that is sure to impress!
The only cake pops recipe featured on my blog is my Red Velvet Cake Pops. Boy are they a hit! They made my top 10 recipes on the blog for 2017 so I just knew I had to make another cake pop recipe for you all.
I love cake pops! I’m not a huge fan of cake as whole. Cake alone is never satisfying enough for me (unless it’s my Malteser Chocolate Cake that is). Cake pops, however, have that extra oomph.
I’m all about ooey desserts and dense desserts. I’m also all about fuss free, easy recipes. That’s exactly what these salted caramel cake pops are all about. The mix of salty and sweet to create a rich and satisfying treat that can be a snack or dessert that is a crowd pleaser.
If you love all things caramel you are going to adore these!
We start with a caramel cake which I based off of my Salted Caramel Layer cake. I made the cake batter a little drier than usual as we want a drier cake for cake pops. Once we mix the cake crumbs with the sauce the cake will be anything but dry! The cake is rich and definitely does not skimp on the caramel flavour! Next we make an easy, four ingredient salted caramel sauce. Crumble the cake up into crumbs and mix with the sauce to create a damp dough. Roll into balls and allow them to set in the fridge.
You now have Salted Caramel Cake Pops!
Cover them with chocolate and pop them back in the fridge to set. I used dark chocolate to cover my cake pops for the sweet and bitter flavour balance but white chocolate would work really well with caramel also.
Salted Caramel Cake Pops
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Softened (55g)
- 3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar (130g)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (50g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses or Golden Syrup (45g)
- 1 and 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour (150g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 2 tsp White Vinegar
Salted Caramel Sauce;
- 1/4 Cup Butter (55g)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (90g)
- 1/4 Cup Milk or Cream
- 1-2 tsp Salt (Personal Taste)
- 2 Cups Dark Chocolate, Melted (360g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line an 8"x8" square baking pan with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and the molasses and beat in.
- Mix the baking powder and flour together and beat in half to the butter mixture.
- Add in half of the milk or buttermilk and beat. Repeat the process.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the vinegar and mix into the cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. While the cake is cooking and cooling, prepare the salted caramel sauce.
Salted Caramel Sauce;
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool.
- Crumble the cake into cake fine crumbs and pour through the salted caramel sauce. Mix together.
- Roll into balls and place in the fridge for around an hour before melting the dark chocolate and dipping each truffle into the chocolate.
- Once each is covered in chocolate, place the cake pops back in the fridge for another hour or until set.