Black Velvet Ice Cream is a homemade chocolate ice cream dyed black with some crushed Oreos running through for added flavour and texture. The flavour of this ice cream is hard to describe. It’s light and creamy, slightly vanilla and slightly chocolate flavoured with the added touch of cookies and cream. It sounds a lot but trust me. It works!
The weather is getting warmer here in little ole’ New Zealand so I thought what better way to celebrate the oncoming of summer than with ice cream?! Especially when its emo ice cream!
I used my three ingredient, ‘cheats’, ice cream recipe as the base which is just cream, condensed milk and vanilla essence all whipped together and frozen. I love this ice cream recipe because not only is it only three ingredients and super easy but it also tastes way better than most – if not all – bought ice creams out there!
To the base ice cream mixture I added melted chocolate and black food colouring gel, placed it in a container and topped it with crushed Oreos. It’s important to use the black food colouring gel not the liquid as the liquid thins the cream too much and the ice cream won’t whip so will turn out more icy rather than light and creamy.
I was hoping to get this post up earlier but I seem to have been hit with a bad cold and have not been able to look at digital screens as they hurt my eyes. It’s coming into summer and I now get hit with a cold. Honestly!
This sweet treat couldn’t get much simpler or more delicious than this! So refreshing too. Especially when you have a sore throat… That’s my excuse for eating half the tub anyway!
Black Velvet Ice Cream
- 600 mL Cream
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 1 - 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150 g Dark Chocolate, Melted
- Black Food Colouring Gel
- 1 Packet Oreos (Optional)
- First melt the chocolate.
- With a beater, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the condensed milk, vanilla extract and chocolate and lightly beat until it is all combined.
- Add in the food colouring gel a few drops at a time until the mixture is black.
- Pour into a container and top with Crushed Oreos and place in the freezer to set (preferably overnight).
- I have found it is set enough after four hours if you like a soft serve consistency.