**One of my first posts in 2014. Time for an upgrade in photos and the post in 2019**
The original post began with the line: Experimenting with Marshmallows.
This statement is true. I was experimenting the kitchen with marshmallows and created these gorgeous caramel marshmallow cookie bars. These soft, chewy, fluffy and topped with homemade, buttery caramel and toasted marshmallows.
I love this slice. It's almost like a caramel version of my Nutella Marshmallow Cookie Bars. These are sweeter due to the caramel and, obviously, there is no chocolate involved.
For those wondering what the pink is in the cookie bars, it is marshmallows. I often get this question on any of my marshmallow recipes. In New Zealand and Australia our marshmallows come in packets that contain pink and white marshmallows.
The caramel is based off my caramel filling recipe and is condensed milk based so we have a thick caramel that will set and not run all over the place.
I hope you enjoy these Caramel, Marshmallow Cookie Bars and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos!
Caramel, Marshmallow Cookie Bars
- 200 g Butter, Softened (1 Cup)
- 1 and ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 and ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ⅔ Cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 140 g Marshmallows, Chopped in half
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk (395g)
- 40 g Butter
- ¼ Tbsp. Golden Syrup (corn syrup)
- ¼ Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a 9"x13" tin.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat in between.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Take ⅔ of the dough and spread evenly over the base of the slice tin.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- For the Caramel;
- Place the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk in a pan.
- Bring to a light boil and removed from the heat.
- Once the base is out of the oven, sprinkle the chopped marshmallows over the base.
- Pour over the caramel.
- Top with the rest of the dough and place in the oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Check it at 25 and if the top is golden brown it is cooked.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes if you don’t mind it being messy when you cut it. Otherwise allow it to cool completely and place it in the fridge for an hour so you get a nice clean cut.
Leave a Reply