**Post and photos updated June 2019**
Cookies and Cream Cookie Bars are a soft and chewy cookie bar filled with chocolate chips and Oreos and frosted with an Oreo buttercream.
I’ve been sitting on this recipe since 2017 and have finally got round to posting it! Bring on the Cookies and Cream Cookie Bars.
Excerpt from the post January 2017: I said in a previous post I had some news. Well the day has arrived to say I’m going to Australia! Yes I went in July last year but the difference is this time, I have NO return ticket….. Yet anyway. I leave in 10 days and really I’ve been procrastinating like crazy on getting organised! I keep trying not to think about leaving because then I panic!
This is a huge step for me but hopefully it’s a good one. I may be over there a month, two months, six… I have no idea. I’m kind of winging it at the moment which I’ve learned, is okay. Especially since it’s only a three hour flight away from New Zealand. Fun fact about me is that I was actually born in Australia so it’s kind of like going home in a way. At least that’s what I’m telling myself so I don’t end up in a ball of anxiety on the floor.
Amazing that it has been around 18 months, I’m still in Australia and a university student! Time really flies.
These cookie bars are off my Nutella Stuffed Cookies and Cream Cookies (if you haven’t made these yet, you really need to!)
They are a chewy cookie with lots of texture from the crushed Oreos. These are finely crushed Oreos not chunks. We want the cookies and cream flavour to to dominate these cookie bars while giving a lovely texture to them. We then throw in some chocolate chips because, why not?
To top these all off we have a creamy, cookies and cream buttercream frosting and a chocolate ganache drizzle. Omit the buttercream and ganache at your own risk! The buttercream adds extra sweetness and the two textures between the chewy, textured cookie bars and the soft and creamy buttercream is just… *drool*.
Of course you could omit the buttercream and ganache if you are strapped for time and the bars will still taste amazing but if you have the time it is definitely worth the extra effort! I mean, what’s better than buttercream?!
Really these cookies and cream cookie bars are a one bowl recipe and the bonus is you can get some aggression out when smashing the Oreo cookies! This happens to be my favourite part… I’m a violent person I promise, I just enjoy working out some…. Frustrations in the kitchen every once and while. Please tell me I’m not alone?
Time for a big slice of these cookies and cream cookie bars I think…
I hope you enjoy these Cookies and Cream Bars and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos!
Cookies and Cream Cookie Bars
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened (110g)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (90g)
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar (45g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour (160g)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 14 Oreos, Crushed Finely
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (90g)
Cookies and Cream Buttercream;
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Softened (55g)
- 1 and 3/4 Cups Icing Sugar (220g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 7 Oreos, Finely Crushed
- 3 Tbsp. Milk or Cream
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate (70g)
- 1/4 Cup Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line an 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Crush 7 of the Oreo's until they resemble a fine crumb and set aside.Lightly crush the remaining 7 Oreo's so they are more chunky and have pieces of Oreo cookies. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the flour, baking powder and finely crushed cookies and cream biscuits.
- Stir in the chunky cookies and cream biscuits and chocolate chips.
- Press into the prepared baking pan and place in the oven for 18-22 minutes. The top and sides should be lightly golden and a skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- If you want these slightly under baked take them out at 15 minutes for a gooier middle.
- Allow the bars to cool completely while you make your cookies and cream buttercream
Cookies and Cream Buttercream;
- Beat the butter until smooth.
- Add in one cup of the icing sugar and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the crushed Oreos
- Add two tablespoons of the milk or cream and the remaining icing sugar and beat.
- Add more milk or cream if your buttercream is too stiff or add more icing sugar if it is too runny.
- You want an easy to spread consistency.
- Now make your ganache.
- Heat up the cream in a saucepan on a low heat or in the microwave until almost boiling.
- Take off the heat and pour over the chocolate and allow to sit for two minutes.
- Stir the mixture until it is smooth and glossy.
- Once your cookie bars are cooled completely, spread over your buttercream in an even layer.Lightly drizzle over the chocolate ganache and then slice and enjoy.