On to day two of Gluten Free Week. (If you haven’t seen day one, check that out here.)
Today’s recipe is Custard Melting Moments. A melt-in-the-mouth gluten free custard shortbread-like cookies with a custard buttercream sandwiched in between. These are such an amazing texture. They are every crumbly and appear dry but they are actually very soft and melt as soon as they touch your tongue.
Yesterday I began a new series of posts that I will be doing. Each Thursday I will be posting about a movie and we can have discussion and chat about the film in the comments. I thought this would be a great way for film enthusiasts to chat, connect and also a way for me to chat about film as that is my number one passion. Besides, this blog is called Lights, Camera, BAKE!. It makes sense to talk about film here.
Back to these melting moments….. They couldn’t be easier to make and require only 6 ingredients, a bowl and a mixer. Just through the ingredients in the bowl and whip up the cookies. Once they’re baked, throw all the ingredients in a bowl for the buttercream and spread them in between each pair of cookies. They really are very simple!
I again used the Edmond’s Gluten Free Plain Flour for these cookies. I mentioned that in my previous post but again you can use whatever brand or homemade mix you like. (If you don’t want to use gluten free flour in any of my gluten free recipes, unless otherwise stated, you can just replace with regular flour.)
Only one word of caution…. Be very careful while assembling these cookies. They are very crumbly and very fragile so don’t press them too hard when sandwiching the buttercream in the center.
- 220 g Butter, Softened (1 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 and 1/3 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Custard Powder
- 60 g Butter, Softened (1/4 Cup)
- 1/4 Cup Custard Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp. Water, as needed
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg.
- Beat in the gluten free flour, baking powder and custard powder until you have a stiff dough.
- Shape into balls and flatten with a fork or roll into a log and slice off into 4cm pieces.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes. They will have spread and lightly golden around the edges.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling make the custard buttercream.
- Beat the butter until smooth. Slowly add in the icing sugar and custard powder.
- If the mixture won't come together, add in some water a tablespoon at a time until you have a thick consistency that will hold its shape.
- Pair up the cookies (pair the cookies with ones of relatively the same size).
- Spread or pipe the buttercream onto one of the cookies in each pair.
- Press the other cookie on top and you're finished!
Ensure you leave space between the cookies as they spread.
Be careful when handling and sandwiching the cookies together. They are very crumbly so be gentle!