This recipe came about on accident. My mother asked me if I had seen a recipe for a caramel date slice. I told her no and – intrigued – I began searching over the next few days I looked everywhere for this illusive recipe only to have her say…. “Oh, I must have dream’t it!”
The idea for a caramel date slice still sounded delicious to me so I took it upon myself to create one.
Behold! The Caramel Date Oat Bars. These have a lightly spiced, coconut and oat crunchy base and top with a layer of gooey dates and homemade buttery caramel in the middle.
I keep calling these mash up bars as I sot of mashed the Buttery Caramel oat Slice and the Vanilla, Cinnamon, Date Bars together to create this recipe. I quite literally had both recipes out in front of me and took elements from each.
I served these to my Mum, since it was her idea and she said they were one of the best things ever! High praise. Only she then knocked it down… “Only, these aren’t what I dreamed. They were more cakey and there wasn’t the layer of dates, etc…”.
At least we got this recipe out of this process but its back to the kitchen I go to re-create my mums dream. Wish me luck!
Caramel Date Oat Bars
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted (110g)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar (140g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Oats (135g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Coconut (50g)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (125g)
- 1/2 Cup Dates, Pitted (100g)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (200g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Golden Syrup (45g)
- 1/3 Cup Butter (75g)
- Chop up the dates finely and place them with the water in a saucepan over a medium heat to bring to the boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes or until nearly all the water has soaked into the dates.
- Now make the caramel.
- Place the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan and bring it nearly to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line an 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix the melted butter and brown sugar together.
- Add in the egg, flour, oats, coconut, baking soda and cinnamon and mix until all combined.
- Press half of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan.
- Spread the date mixture in an even layer over top.
- Spread the caramel mixture over top of the dates.
- Top with the remaining oat mixture and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The top and sides will be a lovely golden brown.
- Wait until cool to slice into neat slices.
They look so yummy!
Aw thank you 🙂