Layer Ice Cream Cake takes three different flavours of homemade ice cream and layers them into a loaf! Delicious!
My version of homemade ice cream requires only three ingredients! That’s right…. Three!
Of course in the case of this ice cream cake, you will require an extra ingredient in the form of melted chocolate for two of the layers but that’s it!
The beauty of this layer ice cream cake is you only need to make one batch of ice cream and then split the batter into three. I also added Oreos in between each layer to add definition and a bit of texture but these are entirely optional.
Another alternative to the cake is using store bought ice cream, layering it up in a loaf pan and freezing. This would be the simplest and quickest way of making the layer ice cream cake however, nothing beats homemade ice cream!
I hope you enjoy this Layer Ice Cream Cake and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
Layer Ice Cream Cake
- 4 and 3/4 Cups Whipping or Heavy Cream (1200ml)
- 2 Tins Sweetened Condensed Milk (794g)
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Dark Chocolate (135g)
- 3/4 Cup Milk Chocolate (135g
- 28 Oreos (1 Packet)
- 3/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Buttons (135g)
- 1/2 Cup Cream (125ml)
- Melt both the chocolates in separate saucepans or bowls if melting the microwave and set aside to cool slightly.
- Line a 9"x5" loaf pan with cling film and set aside.
- *In a large mixing bowl and a beater or stand mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the condensed milk and the vanilla extract and lightly beat until it is all combined.
- Divide the mixture into three separate bowls, trying to keep the amounts of each even.
- While stirring with a spoon, pour in the melted dark chocolate to one of the bowls and fold it through the ice cream mixture.
- Pour this into the base of the load pan and spread out in an even layer and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- While stirring with a spoon, pour in the melted milk chocolate to one of the bowls and fold it through the ice cream mixture.
- Place both this and the vanilla ice cream bowl into the fridge while the dark chocolate layer is freezing.
- Once the dark chocolate layer is set enough, Layer over half of the Oreos and then pour over the milk chocolate ice cream and place back in the freezer for a further 20 minutes or so.
- Repeat with the remaining Oreos and vanilla layer. Freeze until set. I like to leave it for at least 8 hours but depending on your freezer, it could take less time.
- When ready to serve, heat the cream until boiling point and then pour over the dark chocolate buttons, stirring until smooth and glossy.
- Drizzle the ganache over the layer ice cream cake and then slice.