**Post updated 2019**
Malteser Cookie Bars are chewy and gooey, packed full of malt, chocolate and Maltesers to make these taste like Maltesers in cookie bar form!
I LOVE Maltesers! During my teenage years, Maltesers were my go to take-to-the-movies treat. The big bags too. Not the little bags, no sir. If you’re going to have Maltesers you have to have a big bag am I right?
Notice I say take to the movies not buy AT the movies… Movie food is far too expensive for me so sneaking in the chocolate and goodies is always the way for me.
I love these cookie bars. They have a full 1/2 cup of malted milk powder AND crushed Maltesers. Trust me when I say you really won’t be disappointed in the flavour of these Malteser cookie bars. That is, if Maltesers are your thing of course. If malt and chocolate isn’t your thing then these are not for you.
As you can see from the above video, this is a simple one bowl, no mixer required recipe. It comes together in less than ten minutes and you can be enjoying these straight from the oven in twenty! The only noticeably different thing about this recipe compared to other cookie bars is the addition of maple syrup. I added ample syrup as an extra oomph of flavour if you will. I found the light caramel sweetness of the maple syrup really helped bring out the malt flavour in these bars.
I hope you all have a lovely weekend. It’s pouring with rain here so I’m going to snuggle up by the fire and watch a movie! Remember to #lightscamerabake on Instagram if you make any of my creations. I love seeing and hearing from you. Also please subscribe to my YouTube channel for more fun baking videos.
Malteser Cookie Bars
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted (110g)
- 2/3 Cups Brown Sugar (130g)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (50g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (75g)
- 1/2 Cup Malted Milk Powder (65g)
- 1 and 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour (155g)
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (90g)
- 3/4 Cup Maltesers, Chopped (some small, some large) (135g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line an 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper.
- In large bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix well.
- Add in the malted milk powder, flour, cornflour, baking soda and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and chopped Maltesers.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Top with additional chocolate chips and Maltesers if you desire and place in the oven.
- Bake for around 15-20 minutes (bars will be lightly golden on the top and sides but may appear slightly underdone in the middle.
what if I added an extra 2-3 eggs, it’ll make it more rich right?
I would not recommend adding extra eggs as eggs will completely change the structure of the cookie bars. You may be able to get away with adding an extra egg yolk for added richness but I can’t vouch for the results.