With the beginning of the Easter holiday starting tomorrow, I thought I would sneak in one more Easter recipe for you. They are what I affectionately call Messy Easter S’mores.
I am so excited for Easter and all the chocolate I
can will eat! Not that I don’t eat a lot of chocolate on a regular basis anyway, but this holiday gives us all an excuse to go a little crazy on the chocolate right? Well, that’s what I tell myself…… Anyway, back to the recipe at hand.
These S’mores bars are super soft and gooey and packed full of marshmallow and chocolate Easter Eggs. The top is covered in marshmallow eggs, chocolate eggs and regular marshmallows. The middle is a lovely soft cookie mixture with chocolate buttons, marshmallows and chocolate eggs and the base is a traditional S’mores base which finishes the bars off with a lovely crunch. Doesn’t that sound amazing! Trust me, you will all be like little kids in a candy store once you try a slice of these. The distinct flavour that marshmallow eggs have really shines through on these and gives the slice that little extra something to make them spectacular.
I used a mixture of mini eggs and slightly larger eggs on these. The larger eggs, (which are displayed below), unbeknownst to me, had a soft, fudge center. At first I thought I would have to buy some more hard centered eggs, but actually, they really worked well. So even when the bars are cooled and you bite into one of the eggs, you get a lovely flow of soft chocolate which is just heaven.
I included chocolate buttons and regular marshmallows in this recipe as I know that Easter eggs are expensive. You can use more of less of these depending on how many eggs you can spare on these. However, I do recommend keeping the same amount of marshmallow eggs in this recipe.
As you can see from the pictures, they are called messy for a reason. They aren’t the kind of bars to serve at a high tea, but they are great for the family and they are great fun with all the different colours and sizes of the different eggs running through them.
Messy Easter S'mores Bars
- 170 g Butter, Half Melted
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 and 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cornflour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Marshmallows
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Buttons
- 3/4 Cup Mini Chocolate Easter Eggs
- 125 g Digestive Biscuits (Graham Crackers)
- 7 Small Easter Eggs, With either a soft or solid center
- 6 Marshmallow Eggs, Chopped in half
- Small Easter eggs, To Decorate
- Preheat the Oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x13" baking dish with non stick cooking paper.
- Beat the partially melted butter, brown sugar and icing sugar together at a high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla extract and beat in.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cornflour and beat until combined.
- Mix in the chocolate buttons, 1/2 cup mini eggs and 3/4 cup marshmallows.
- Spread the digestive biscuits in a layer in the prepared dish.
- Spoon over the cookie mixture until it has completely covered the digestive biscuit base.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the mini eggs, place the marshmallow eggs over and put as many marshmallows as you like in the gaps.
- Place the 7 small eggs over top and place in the oven for 20 mins.
- Allow to cool completely.
If you don't want the marshmallow eggs to spread as mush as mine did, omit placing them on the slice until it has cooked for 12 minutes first.