The search for The Perfect Vanilla Cheesecake is over! Soft, creamy slightly tangy and of course a lovely aroma of vanilla baked on a classic digestive (graham cracker) base.
I love baked cheesecakes and have only made one no bake cheesecake in the past. (This Oreo Truffle No Bake Cheesecake). Baked cheesecakes don’t require gelatin to set and I really like the set, baked outside they get.
Baked cheesecakes are easy but a lot of things can go wrong if you’re not careful. Lumpy, not baked in the middle or the dreaded cracked top!
I’m ecstatic as this is the first time I’ve managed to make a cheesecake with absolutely no cracks in the top! I’m honestly jumping for joy.
To achieve the perfect vanilla cheesecake, just follow these few rules (I know, arg! Rules!). But trust me, these rules will help you achieve the same perfect results.
- Rule number one is make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature. The cream cheese will be easier to beat and result in a lump free, smooth texture.
- Lightly beat the cream before adding to the mixture. we want very soft peaks as this ensures a lighter, fluffier texture for the cheesecake.
- Bake long and slow. we bake this at 160°C for an hour to ensure the middle sets without burning the top and sides.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven with the door ajar for at least an hour – but preferably two – before removing and placing on the bench to come to room temperature. I know of w this seems excessive and we – me included – are all guilty of skipping this step but it really does help prevent a cracked top. I’ll admit and say I only waited 30 minutes before removing but do this at your on risk!
- Allow the cheesecake to come completely to room temperature before placing it in the fridge. Again this helps prevent the cracking.
There are times, against all your best efforts, you will still see cracks in the top. Don’t be disheartened, they still taste the same.
I haven’t had that happen with this cheesecake so far, hence, The Perfect Vanilla Cheesecake!
If you found the above tips useful (or you have any other cheesecake tips), let me know in the comments below. Also, if you make this cheesecake, be sure to #lightscamerabake on Instagram and share your work with me!
The Perfect Vanilla Cheesecake
- 250 g Digestive Biscuits Graham Crackers
- 50 g Butter, Melted (1/4 Cup)
- 625 g Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Grease or line a 20cm round cake pan with cooking paper and preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Crush the digestive biscuits and mix in the melted butter.
- Spread evenly over the base of the pan and refrigerate while making the rest of the cheesecake.
- Beat the cream into soft peaks and set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and cream.
- Finally add the vanilla extract and icing sugar and beat until all combined.
- Pour over the biscuit base in an even layer.
- Tap on the bench a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. The middle should still be slightly wobbly.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature in the oven before placing it in the fridge for 4-8 hours.