These Red Velvet Truffle Bars are a soft, chewy and slightly cakey red velvet cookie bar with a thick layer of Oreo Truffle spread on top that is then finished with melted chocolate and white chocolate hearts for Valentines Day.
I’ll be honest and say that I wasn’t going to create a ‘Valentines Day themed treat’. For one thing, I have no one to celebrate the day with – #singlepringle – and for another thing, I think Valentines Day is more just a big marketing ploy than anything else. Call me naive, but shouldn’t you love and show the love you have for your significant other everyday not just on one specified day? (Maybe I would be less cynical and more inclined to celebrate this day if I had someone but alas, that is not the case. #ForeverAlone.)
This is my first red velvet creation on LCB.! I absolutely love red velvet. The slight flavour of chocolate with the slight flavour of vanilla in this somewhere-in-between creation is just lovely! I believe I have found the perfect balance of both chocolate and vanilla in these bars by using one tablespoon of vanilla and cocoa.
Don’t just take my word for it though, you’ll have to try these for yourself.
I call these cookie bars but they are sort of a cross between a cookie and a cake. They are cakey and less dense than cookie bars but they have a chewiness about them that is very cookie like.
You know I’m usually all for the gooey, chewy cookie bars but I actually really like these as they are unique and not completely cakey but not completely gooey. Once these bars are smothered in Oreo Truffle you will be in heaven, trust me!
I topped these with chocolate to create a nice finish but you could omit the chocolate layer if you wish. You could also omit the white chocolate hearts if you didn’t want these for Valentines Day. To create the chocolate hearts, I just put melted white chocolate in a piping bag a free handed the design. If you had a heart mold or stencil, you could use those to get a cleaner and much nicer hearts than mine!
Red Velvet Truffle Bars
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 and 2/3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. Red Food Colouring
- 28 Oreos, Two Packets
- 250 g Cream Cheese
- 150 g Chocolate
- 100 g White Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x9" baking tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the flour, baking powder, cocoa and red food colouring.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The top and sides will be set and a skewer inserted should come out clean.
- Allow the slice to cool completely before spreading over the truffle layer.
- While the slice is cooling, make the Oreo Truffle Layer.
- Crush the Oreos and mix with the cream cheese.
- Spread over the red velvet bars.
- Melt the chocolate and spread over top of the Oreo truffle layer and allow to set.
- To do the white chocolate hearts, melt the white chocolate.
- Place the white chocolate in a piping bag and either freehand and or use a stencil to pipe hearts on the bars.
So while everyone else is enjoying the love on Valentines Day, I will be over here eating these Red Velvet Truffle Bars… I may even treat myself to this extreme salted caramel cheesecake stuffed pie because I’m worth it.