Happy Thursday one and all. Only one more day until the weekend and time for the second recipe for Cupcake Week. If you didn’t catch the first recipe (Chocolate Cupcakes with a Buttery Caramel Filling), make sure you check it out!
Today’s recipe is a non chocolate (I know so sad) but just as delicious Vanilla Cupcakes with Cinnamon Spice Frosting. This is my super soft, moist and fluffy vanilla cupcake recipe with a deliciously sweet spiced frosting using cinnamon and a touch of mixed spice. This one is for all you non chocoholics out there or anyone who wants a warm comforting cupcake. The smells of Cinnamon is the definition of comfort am I right?
I kept the filling on these cupcakes simple by just using the cinnamon spice frosting with the addition of crushed biscuits to give it a little texture and crunch. You could of course omit the crushed biscuits if you with and just fill the cupcakes with the frosting or omit filling these altogether.
On another note, a Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix has been added to the Lights, Camera, BAKE! Online Shop! Check it out.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Cinnamon Spice Frosting
- 110 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Four
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 tsp - 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract, Depends on your personal tastes
Frosting and Filling;
- 60 g Butter, Softened (1/4 Cup)
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- 2-3 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 3 Tbsp. Milk
- 125 g Digestive Biscuits, Crushed (Graham Crackers)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Beginning and ending with the flour mixture, alternate adding the flour and milk to the butter mixture.
- Once it is all combined add the vanilla extract and ensure it is mixed through.
- Spoon in the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until the cupcakes spring back to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Beat the butter, cinnamon, mixed spice and milk together.
- Add the icing sugar in three batches.
- Add more icing sugar until you get the desired consistency.
- Reserve 1/2 a cup of frosting if you are filling these.
- Add the crushed biscuits to the 1/2 cup and fill the cupcakes.
- Place the rest of the frosting in a piping bag and pipe any design you fancy!