It’s time for another week dedicated to a type of food or ingredient. This week it’s all about gluten free flour. I have been experimenting with gluten free flour for a few weeks by just using a store bought gluten free replacement flour and using it in place of regular flour. The results have been varied with some things coming out amazing while others…..
These Vanilla Pudding Cookie Bars are one of the things that did turn out amazing. They are ooey gooey with a crisp top and outsides, chewy, dense and packed full of chocolate and white chocolate chips. What makes these more unique, other than the gluten free flour, is the use of vanilla pudding mix. That’s right, we take a packet pudding mix and put that straight in the cookie dough mixture.
The vanilla pudding gives the cookies a beautiful vanilla flavour (of course) but its the unique vanilla flavour only the prepackaged vanilla pudding mixes have.
This vanilla flavour doesn’t take over the cookie bars. It only enhances and adds another depth of flavour to the overall cookie bar that is really very delicious.
The gluten free flour I used was the Edmond’s Gluten Free Plain Flour. Its wheat free, gluten free and only uses rice flour, starch (from maize and tapioca) and vegetable gum. I went for the flour that had the least amount of ingredients and so far it has been great. If you have a specific brand or your own mix of gluten free flour you like to use then please use that.
I will address the elephant in the room and acknowledge that yes, today is Valentines Day. If you haven’t already, check out my post for the delicious, oh so moreish Red Velvet Truffle Bars if you want something more Valentines themed to make your significant other.
Me, I’m going to be curling up on the couch eating the leftovers from the red velvet truffle bars and these gooey cookie bars. #SingleLife
Gluten Free Vanilla Pudding Cookie Bars
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 110 g Butter (1/2 Cup)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 70 g Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup White chocolate chips or buttons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 8"x8" baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and mix with the brown sugar and sugar.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix.
- Pour in the vanilla pudding mix, baking soda and gluten free flour and mix.
- Stir in the chocolate and white chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Check it at 20 minutes as the middle should have a slight wobble but the sides and top should be set.
- Bake for longer if you don't want it slightly underbaked and gooey.
Instant or “cook & serve” pudding mix?
Thanks looks yummy
Hi, I used the instant pudding mix
Jess @ Sweetest Menu
Wow! There is so much to love about these cookie bars – especially the vanilla pudding! Yum!