What do you get when you cross a brownie with coconut ice and caramel? This Coconut Caramel Brownie Pie.
Over-the-top decadent, indulgent, gooey, fudgy, sweet, rich and one showstopping dessert!
I originally made this for a competition by Milly’s Kitchen I came across on Facebook. Although I didn’t win, the end result and recipe that came from this was too good and unique not to share so here we are.
I adapted the brownie recipe they provided by Annabelle Langbein and completely mixed it up.
First we have the indulgent, fudgy, rich, dark chocolate brownie with TWO types of chocolate chips! So really we can call this a triple chocolate brownie.
We spread half of the brownie batter into the base of a pie pan. Top that with a coconut mixture inspired by my Coconut Ice. (It’s very similar to the inside of a bounty bar). Cover the coconut mixture in lashings of the buttery caramel filling and top that with the remaining brownie mixture before baking to perfection.
This can be enjoyed two ways. One is to wait for the brownie to chill completely and slice into nice and tidy slices to see the layers and serve for dessert or have with a coffee. Option two is to place a scoop of ice cream on top, grab a spoon and dig right into the warm, ooey gooey chocolate, coconut, caramel center! The choice is yours. Can you guess my pick of the two?
Coconut Caramel Brownie Pie
- 1 Cup Butter (220g)
- 1 Cup and 2 Tbsp. Dark Chocolate, Chopped into pieces (200g)
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Caster Sugar (300g)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour (225g)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa (25g)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (90g)
- 1/2 Cup White Chocolate Chips (90g)
- 1/2 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (200g)
- 1 and 3/4 Cups Desiccated Coconut (175g)
- 3/4 Cup Icing Sugar (90g)
- 1 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (397g)
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup (90g)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (55g)
- First make the coconut ice.
- Place the desiccated coconut, icing sugar and condensed milk in a bowl and stir until well combined. Now prepare the caramel.
- Place the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan over a medium to high heat. Mix until the butter has melted and bring the mixture nearly to the boil before removing from the heat and setting aside.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F).
- Line base of 26cm Lodge skillet (or 3 x 16.5cm) with a circle of baking paper.
- Melt butter and chopped chocolate over a low heat in a saucepan.
- Combine melted chocolate with sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Mix in sifted flour, cocoa, chocolate and white chocolate chips until evenly combined but don’t overmix. Pour half into the base of the skillet and top with an even layer of coconut ice. Pour over the caramel and top with the remaining brownie batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Brownie should be firm around the outer edges but still squidgy and wobbly in the middle.