Healthy Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookies: Vegan, wheat free, refined sugar free and dairy free. These cookies are soft, chewy, full of peanut butter flavour and chocolate chips of course! You would never know these were healthy.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a ‘healthy’ recipe on LCB and for that I can only say… Oops!
It’s not that I don’t enjoy testing and playing with healthier ingredient alternatives. I do. It’s also not that I don’t enjoy eating the healthier alternatives. I do. I really, really do. (Just look at the collection of delicious healthy treats).
Anyway, today a healthy recipe is back! These cookies will disappear like hot cakes. Peanut butter lovers rejoice… Chocolate lovers rejoice… This one is for you.
To make these healthy peanut butter cookies we use oats and oat flour in place of wheat so all those who struggle with wheat or gluten, you can have these. ***Gluten warning: Check your brand of oats***
These are dairy free so these are suitable for vegans and we get our fats and liquids from the peanut butter and coconut oil.
They are also refined sugar free so instead we use coconut sugar and maple syrup. This means less spikes in our blood sugars and more trace minerals than regular sugar.
These cookies get a lovely chew from the use of oats and oat flour while the coconut oil keeps the cookies lovely and soft in the center. Straight from the oven is best when the cookies are really soft and chocolate chips are all melty and the peanut butter is in its stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth stage.
It’s exactly a week today before I head off to Auckland before making the trip over to Australia! I will be having fun at the theme parks on the Gold Coast before sight-seeing and catching up with family in Brisbane. Of course I will be eating my way around both places so if you have any suggestions on food places I must try or things I must see and do, please let me know in the comments!
Healthy Peanut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (125g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (22g)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar (50g)
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, Melted (13g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Oats (45g)
- 1/3 Cup Oat Flour (35g)
- 1/3 Cup Desiccated Coconut (35g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips (70g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the peanut butter, egg, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil in a bowl and mix together.
- Stir in the oats, oat flour, coconut, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Finally stir in the chocolate chips and roll into balls and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will be soft to the touch but harden as they cool.