Hedgehog Slice is a classic no bake, chocolate fudge-like recipe that only requires a handful of ingredients and minimal time setting in the fridge. This was a staple at my Grandmas house (though we just knew it as chocolate fudge) and everyone in the family who knew about the fudge would walk in the house, head straight to the fridge and grab a few pieces before they were all gone. Needless to say, this recipe is nostalgic and a family favourite.
Hi all! Long time no posts. But I’m back, hopefully back on track to my normal posting schedule of Tuesday and Fridays but we’ll see. I still have a lot of assignments and work to do but fingers crossed!
Something that has been getting me through the busy time is this chocolate hedgehog slice. Seriously. I have a stack of containers in the fridge right now calling my name!
There are a lot of different ways to make Hedgehog Slice. Some use eggs and melted chocolate, others don’t use melted chocolate at all. Some even use condensed milk! The commonality between all the recipes is the classic chocolate icing which is purely a touch of butter, warm water and icing sugar.
I use digestive biscuits in my hedgehog slice but these can be replaced with arrowroot, Graham Crackers, Marie biscuits. Any plain vanilla biscuit will do.
These are crunchy, sweet, rich and a perfect snack for on the go, for kids lunchboxes, afternoon tea, a sneaky Sunday breakfast…. The list is endless. Just ensure you store them in the fridge.
I hope you enjoy this chocolate Hedgehog Slice and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
This Weeks Video:
- 250 g Digestive Biscuits, (Graham Crackers)
- 125 g Butter (1/2 Cup)
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250 g Dark Chocolate
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. - 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- 40 g Butter, Softened
- Grease and line a 9"x9" slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter, cocoa, vanilla extract and dark chocolate in a saucepan and melt together. Or melt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Crush the digestive biscuits in a large bowl and pour over the melted mixture. Stir until well combined
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin, pressing down firmly and place in the fridge for around an hour while you make the icing.
- Place the icing sugar, cocoa and softened butter in a bowl.
- Pour in two tablespoons of water to the bowl and mix ensuring the water melts the butter through the mixture. If the mixture is too stiff add more water one teaspoon at a time until you have a thick but smooth consistency.
- Spread over the icing in an even layer and return the slice to the fridge for at least another hour before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.