This is my second attempt at a thumbprint cookie and I think they’re my favourite so far. Mainly because they’re chocolate…. But how could you not love these? They’re a hot chocolate in thumbprint cookie form!
Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are soft, sweet and taste exactly like a hot chocolate, complete with a marshmallow placed in the thumbprint to finish off the hot chocolate experience.
These cookies get their chocolate flavour strictly from hot chocolate. There is no cocoa or melted chocolate in these, just store bought hot chocolate. Because of this, we can cut down on the added sugar as hot chocolate mixes already have some sugar added.
When I first made these, I thought the chocolate flavour wouldn’t be strong enough with just the hot chocolate. I was totally wrong! The flavour isn’t overly rich like dark chocolate but more soft and sweet which is exactly what we want when we think of the comfort of a hot chocolate.
And what hot chocolate is complete without marshmallows? Honestly I was scared I would have exploded marshmallows all through my oven but I was (happily) surprised when I saw the marshmallows don’t explode in these cookies. They just toast on the outside and melt in the middle.
Top Tip: Eat while warm. You get soft, warm, sweet hot chocolate cookie with a melting, gooey marshmallow… A dream if there ever was one.
Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 120 g Butter, Softened (1/2 Cup)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Hot Chocolate
- 1 and 1/3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 14 Marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and hot chocolate until well combined.
- Roll into 14 balls and place on the baking tray.
- Using your thumb, press firmly down in the center of each cookie until you have a large thumbprint dent.
- Place a marshmallow in each thumbprint and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes. The cookies will have spread and be soft to the touch but will harden when cooled.