Plum Shortcake is a soft and buttery shortcake recipe with a Black Doris Plum filling. Refreshing and the best shortcake recipe you will find!
You guys!!!! I have THE BEST recipe for you today and it doesn’t include chocolate! Like how?
I think this Plum Shortcake has taken the top spot in my heart for favourite dessert right now. It’s seriously THAT GOOD!
I made this for Christmas and my family was obsessed with it! Seriously. My Mum had two pieces, my cousin raved about it the next day, even ‘no dessert’ eaters loved this Plum Shortcake.
The next day one of my very best friends came to stay and she had, I believe, four pieces in total and my mum finished off the rest of the shortcake. It’s so good, that once that one was gone in two days flat, I made another one!
The shortcake is a soft and buttery shortcake that melts in the mouth. Paired with the black doris plums (you could use regular plums) in the middle the balance of the sweet and slightly tart flavours is to die for. The shortcake isn’t overly sweet, more rich and buttery. The plums are tart and the natural sugars mix with the shortcake and we end up with perfection. Trust me, you have to make this recipe!
Not only is the recipe quick and easy but this shortcake is a proven crowd pleaser. Great for get-together’s, dessert, morning tea, a snack or even a sneaky breakfast.
I hope you enjoy this Plum Shortcake and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured!
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened (220g)
- 2/3 Cups Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar) (150g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 tsps Grated Lemon Rind
- 2 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (300g)
- 2 and 1/2 tsps Baking Powder
- 750-800 g Tinned Black Doris Plums, Drained (Or just tinned plums)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 22cm round spring-form pan with baking paper and grease the sides thoroughly.
- Drain the tin of plums and then spread them in an even layer on paper towels, remove any stones and pat with a few paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible and set aside.
- In a food processor or stand mixer mix together the softened butter, caster sugar, egg, vanilla extract and lemon rind. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and pulse in and them mix together completely.
- Press two thirds of the dough into the base of the prepared pan.
- Arrange the plum halves over the base in an even layer.
- Dot the remaining dough on top of the plums in an even layer and place in the oven for around 40 minutes or until the top and and sides are golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold. Both are equally delicious!