What exactly are Brookie S’mores Bars? Brookie S’mores Bars are a combination of soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies and rich and fudgy brownies sandwiched in between crushed digestive biscuits (Graham Crackers) and a layer of toasted marshmallows.
As I have mentioned time and time again. I LOVE S’mores. Anything s’mores related and I’m there! How could you not? Crisp digestive biscuits with melting chocolate and sweet, roasted marshmallows… Turn these into Brookie S’mores Bars and you have a WINNER!
Out of all the s’mores recipes I have made (remember the S’mores Fudge Pie and the White Chocolate S’mores Bars?) the Brookie S’mores Bars may just be my favourite. I am partial to the chocolate chip cookie and brownie flavour combination. Again, I’m a sucker for brownies.
To make these Brookie S’mores Bars you need to make a simple crushed digestive biscuit (Graham Cracker) and melted butter base. Make a simple chocolate chip cookie dough (I adapted my cookie pie recipe) and a one bowl fudgy brownie. This is recipe is all about layers so we begin with the crushed biscuit layer then the cookie layer, followed by the brownie layer.
I made this in an 8″x8′ pan so the bars were nice and high not flat. You could use a 9″x9″ pan if you prefer but just bare in mind your Brookie S’mores will be a little flatter and may not need as long of a cooking time.
As these bars take a while to bake, we don’t add the marshmallow layer until halfway through the baking process. This is to ensure toasted, melty marshmallows not hard and burnt marshmallows.
It’s officially December. Officially Summer, 8 days until my birthday, The Countdown is on for Christmas and 30 days until 2018!! Seriously this year has just flown by and I am in no way prepared for my Birthday, Christmas or the New Year! Ekk. Please tell me I’m not the only one having a slight end-of-year crisis?
Brookie S'mores Bars
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Digestive Biscuits or Graham Crackers, Crushed (125g)
- 1/3 Cup Butter, Melted (75g)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough;
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Partially Melted (110g)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (65g)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (50g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup and 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour (135g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (90g)
- 5 Marshmllows, Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips (75g)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate (100g)
- 1/3 Cup Butter (75g)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (100g)
- 3 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder (19g)
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour (95g)
- 16-20 Marshmallows
- Line an 8"x8" baking pan with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Melt the butter and mix with the crushed digestive biscuits.
- Press into the base of the prepared pan and place in the fridge while you make the cookie layer.
- Beat the super soft or partially melted butter, brown sugar and sugar together.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and chocolate chips.
- Spread over the crushed biscuit base in an even layer and sprinkle over the 1/3 cup of chocolate chips and chopped marshmallows.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together.
- Beat the egg, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Mix the chocolate mixture through the eggs.
- Mix in the cocoa, followed by the flour.
- Pour the mixture over the cookie layer and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the oven top with the 16 or 20 marshmallows and place back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- The marshmallows should be lightly golden and the middle will only slightly wobble but the sides should be set.
- Allow to cool completely for nice clean pieces otherwise dig in with a spoon!