Marshmallow Brownies are rich and fudgy chocolate brownies with a soft and gooey marshmallow topping and finished with a chocolate ganache drizzle.
I have been obsessed with the idea of marshmallow brownies for a long time now! I have attempted to make them in the past but they have always turned out terribly. In my first attempt, the marshmallows were mixed through the the brownie batter and they exploded in the oven so there were pockets of harden sugar throughout the brownies. Not what I was going for to say the least.
In my next attempt I melted down the marshmallows first and spread them through the middle of the brownies as a gooey, chewy marshmallow center… Lets just say the results were again, unsatisfactory. Think unbaked, runny, gooey and overly sweet brownies with no distinctive layers. Just one big runny chocolate mess!
Finally I worked out a way to get the soft and pillowy marshmallow effect with rich and fudgy brownies. The balance of rich and sweet is perfect and the flavour of brownies and marshmallows together is just perfect!
To achieve the pillowy marshmallow topping on these brownies, I baked the brownies first and took them out ten minutes early to top them with the marshmallows and then returned them to the oven to finish baking. This ensured the marshmallows cooked and toasted without exploding!
For these, and all my other marshmallow related recipes – hello s’mores – I use regular sized marshmallows. If you want added marshmallow action, you could also add mini marshmallows to the brownies themselves but that is entirely optional.
For the chocolate ganache I used a good quality dark chocolate but a milk chocolate ganache would also work fantastically well here too.
I hope you enjoy these Marshmallow Brownies and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more fun baking videos!
- 3/4 Cup Butter (170g)
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate (190g)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar (130g)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (75g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (120g)
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa (31g)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips, (Optional) (90g)
- 16-20 Regular Size Marshmallows
- 3/4 Cup Dark Chocolate (135g)
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9x9 baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate together.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract together until the mixture becomes a light golden colour.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips if using them.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the marshmallows.
- Place back in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes, the marshmallows will have spread and be lightly toasted on top.
- Allow to cool slightly while you make the chocolate ganache.
- Heat the cream until nearly boiling and pour over the chocolate. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Drizzle over the chocolate ganache, slice the brownies and serve!