Caramel Brownies are a rich and fudgy chocolate brownie topped with a gooey, buttery, condensed milk caramel sauce. Perfect balance between sweet and rich.
What a way to kick off the week huh?
It's actually cold here in Brisbane at the moment (secretly loving it), but it is a bit of a shock to the system after the insane heat. So I need brownies. Yes need. Brownies are the perfect pick me up in this cold weather and a fantastic start to the week.
Right on to the recipe.
Caramel Brownies start with the brownie base. I'm adapting a brownie recipe that you will see frequently on LCB. It is a recipe that I have developed over time that to me is just perfection! This brownie mixture always results in the richest, fudgiest brownies you could ever want. They're not 'eggy' not 'cakey'. They're dense, chewy, fudgy, gooey and packed full of chocolate. Including optional chocolate chips because you can never have too much chocolate right? It's also May 15th and that makes it National Chocolate Chip Day!
As if I need another excuse to eat chocolate chips.
I just can't seem to make a regular brownie can I?
Today's variation turns these into Caramel Brownies. for the caramel element we need to make a super quick and easy condensed milk caramel. This caramel is my favourite caramel in all the world! Rich, buttery and sweet. Not overly 'caramel' but more subtle and delicate in the caramel flavour. This caramel features everywhere on my blog.
I'm a little obsessed!
It's optional to finish these brownies off with a chocolate drizzle but I find them a bit naked without it.
One thing to note with these caramel brownies is you must let the caramel set in the fridge before slicing or it will just run everywhere.
I hope your week just got a little bit brighter with these Caramel Brownies and don't forget to tag me and #lightscamerabake on Instagram if you make these or any of my other recipes!
- 1 Cup and 2 Tbsp. Dark Chocolate (200g)
- ⅔ Cups Butter (150g)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar (90g)
- ⅔ Cups Sugar (150g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (120g)
- ¼ Cup Cocoa (24g)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chips (Optional) (90g)
- 1 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (397g)
- ¼ Cup Golden Syrup (Or Brown Sugar) (90g)
- ¼ Cup Butter (55g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9"x9" baking pan with baking paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter together.
- Beat the brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together until light in colour.
- Mix the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until well combined.
- Mix in the flour and cocoa and pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top and sides are set. The middle will have damp crumbs attached to a skewer inserted.
- While the brownies are cooling make the caramel.
- In a medium sized saucepan place the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter on a medium heat and melt together.
- Bring to the boil stirring constantly until the mixture turns golden.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour over the brownies and place in the fridge for at least an hour to set or else the caramel will run everywhere.
- I find for best flavour to leave them overnight and bring them to room temperature when you want a slice.
- (Optional to add a chocolate sauce drizzle.)