Indulgent and rich, dark chocolate Salted Caramel Brownies. These brownies are insanely decadent and more suited to adults. They very dark and rich, ultra fudgy and gooey and creates a balance between dark chocolate, sweet caramel and saltiness.
YOU GUYS!! STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING AND MAKE THESE SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIES. Sorry for yelling but seriously. I have not made something I have loved as much as these brownies. Ever.
Ok, that’s probably a lie but you get the idea…
These salted caramel brownies are amazing. The brownies themselves are based off my classic brownie recipe but with a few twists.
First we use dark, dark chocolate. To really get the rich and dark chocolate flavour you want to use a good quality dark chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa, like Lindt or Green and Blacks. Next we use mostly dutch processed cocoa.
What Is Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder?
The difference between dutch processed cocoa and regular cocoa powder is dutch cocoa has a pH balance of 7 which means it has been alkalized and has had the acidity taken away. This results in a darker tone and a smoother flavour. Perfect for these dark chocolate brownies.
Next we add in salted caramel chocolate. Now this chocolate is what really inspired these brownies. Whittakers, a New Zealand chocolate brand and the best chocolate EVER (not sponsored) came out with a new flavour that was Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate and is similar to that of a Caramello or Rolo block of chocolate.
Because I was so excited to try this chocolate and when I did, I fell in love, I placed 200g of it in these brownies. Yep. 200g!
What you result in is melting puddles of chocolate and oozing salted caramel all throughout the brownies. Add some extra salted caramel sauce throughout and you have yourself an indulgent, decadent, fit for Hollywood, adult dessert!
I hope you enjoy these Salted Caramel Brownies and I truly hope you give this recipe a go and remember to rate and report back your results in the comments below. I love reading your comments! Also #lightscamerabake on Instagram for a chance to be featured and don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for fun baking videos!
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 3/4 Cup Butter (170g)
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate (190g)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (75g)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar (130g)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (120g)
- 1/4 Cup Dutch Processed Cooca (24g)
- 2 Tbsp. Regular Cocoa (12g)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (90g)
- 200 g Salted Caramel Chocolate, Broken into pieces
Salted Caramel Sauce;
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (90g)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (55g)
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 tsp Salt
Salted Caramel Sauce;
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on a medium to high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for at least 2 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Add the salt and allow to cool and thicken while you make the brownies.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 9'x9' baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate together.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract together until the mixture becomes a light golden colour.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the flour, dutch processed cocoa and cocoa until just combined.
- Stir through the chocolate chips and the salted caramel chocolate
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Dot the salted caramel through the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. The top and sides will be set and the middle will have crumbs attached to a skewer inserted but should not be wet.